Glossary of Chemistry Test Chapter six
Other Decks By This User
- who created the first ok periodic table?
- Dmitri Medeleev
- How did medeleev arrange the elements?
- by increasing atomic MASS
- Family 1
- alkaline metals
- Family 2
- alkaline earth metals
- middle (dblock) elements
- transition elements
- if the elment inst a transition element it is A...
- REPRESENTATIVE ELEMENT
- family 7
- family 8
- noble gases
- Radius- across period it ... why?
- decreases becasue the more electrons and protons are added the stronger their attraction is, pulling the valence electrons to the nucleus
- radius- down a group it... why?
- increases- because more energy levels are added putting the eletrons farther away from the nulceus making the attraction less
- does the atom get bigger or smaller if it loses an electron?
- smaller because they lose an energy level
- does the atom get bigger or smaller if it gains an electron?
- bigger because it gains an energy level
- What is ionization energy?
- energy neede to remove an out electron and form a positive ion
- I.E.- down a group it... why?
- decreases because the atom is the biggest and the outer electron is the farthest away from the nucleus and has the least attraction so the least energy is needed
- I.E.- across a series it... why?
- increase becasue the atoms get smaller bringing the outer electron closer to the nucleus and the sttraction is the greatest so it is the hardest to get it to move
- What is electron affinity?
- energy released when an outer electron is added to form a negative ion
- E.A.- across a period it... why?
- increases because it the atom is smaller, the ttraction to the new outer eletron is greater and the more energy will be released
- E.A.- down a family it... why?
- decreases because the atom is bigger and the attraction to the outer electrons is less and so less energy is released when a new electron is added
- if an electron has high electron affinity it..
- gains electron easily
- if an electron has low E.A. it..
- doesnt gain electron easily
You must Login or Register to add cards