Glossary of Chemistry Lecture Test
Other Decks By This User
- A carbon atom in organic molecule that is bonded to only one other carbon atom
- Primary carbon atom
- Carbon atom in an organic molecule that is bonded to three other carbon atoms.
- Secondary carbon atom
- A carbon atom in an organic molecule that is bonded to four other carbon atoms
- Tertiary carbon atoms
- Give prefixes for number of carbons 1-10.
- A reaction between a substance of oxygen that proceeds with the evolution of heat and light.
- combustion reaction
- A reaction in which part of a small reacting molecule replaces an atom or a group of atoms on a hydrocarbon or hydrocarbon derivative.
- substitution reaction
- A reaction between a substance and a halogen in which one or more halogen atoms are incorporated into molecules of the substance.
- A reaction in which atoms or groups of atoms are added to each carbon atom of a carbon-carbon multiple bond in a hydrocarbon or hydrocarbon derivative.
- Addition reaction
- An addition reaction in which identical atoms or groups are added to each carbon of a carbon-carbon multiple bond.
- symmetrical addition reaction
- An addition reaction in which H2 is incorporated into molecules of an organic compound.
- Hydrogenation reaction
- An addition reaction in which a hydrogen halide is incorporated into molecules of an organic compund
- hydrohalogenation reaction
- An addition reaction in which water is incorporated into molecules of an organic compound.
- Hydration reaction
- A substitution reaction in which an alkyl group from an alkyl chloride subs for a h atom on the benzene ring.
- alkylation of an aromatic
- A hydrogen atom on a benzene ring can be replaced by bromine or chlorine.
- halogenation of an aromatic
- Give the two ways in which alcohol can be prepared.
- hydration of alkenes or
adding an h2 to a carbon-oxygen double bond
- What is a reaction in which the components of water are removed from a single reactant or from two reactants.
- dehydration of alcohols
- What is a reaction in which two groups or two atoms on neighboring carbon atoms are removed, or eliminated, from a molecule, leaving a multiple bond between the carbon atoms.
- Elimination reaction of alcohol
- What is a reaction in which two molecules combine to form a larger one while liberating a small molecule, usually water.
- Condensation reaction
You must Login or Register to add cards