Glossary of Chemistry Chapter 1 and 2
Other Decks By This User
- homogeneous mixture
- no visibly different parts. Also called solution.
- Examples of Homogeneous.
- Homogenized milk, Koolaid, vinegar, most nail polishes
- commonly used to separate solids from liquids.
EX Water + ethanol + food coloring.
- separeation based on difference in boiling points. Separation of liquid and liquid.
- separeation of many mixtures by different charges.
- separation based on charge, polarity, 3-D shape, mass, etc. Ex. paper chromatography.
- Characteristics of Compounds
- The elements making up a compound are in definite proportion by mass always.
EX water is always 11.2 % hydrogen and 88 % oxygen
- 2 Characteristics of compounds
- The chemical and physical properties of a compound differ from those of its consituents.
EX. Hydrogen is flammable, water is a liquid at room temperature, hydrogen and oxygen are gases.
- 3rd Characteristics of Compounds
- Compounds can be formed from simpler substances by chemical change and they can be decomposed into simpler substances by chemical change.
EX C12H22O11 - 12C + 11H20
- dark brown
doesn't smell icky
You must Login or Register to add cards