Glossary of Chemistry 111 Exam 3 review
Other Decks By This User
- What is pressure?
- What is force?
- mass x acceleration
- What is area?
- pie x r squared
- What is the definition of pressure?
- the force of collision of gaseous particles with a surface per unit area
- what is the si unit for force?
- newton=kg m s-2
- what is the si unit for pressure?
- pascal=1 Pa=1 N/m2=kg m/ s^2/m^2
- What is atmospheric pressure?
- defined as the pressure exerted by the earth's atmosphere
- What is standard atmospheric pressure?
- (1 atm)-pressure that supports a column of mercury exactly = to 760 mm
- how many mmHg, torr, and Pascals do one atmosphere =?
- 760 mmHg, 760 torr, and 101.325 Pa
- What is a barometer?
- a device used for measuring atmospheric pressure
- What is a manometer?
- a device used to measure the pressure of gases other than the atmosphere
- What is a closed and open manometer?
- closed manometer-used to measure pressures below atmospheric pressure, open-used to meausre
- What is boyle's law?
- What is Charles' and Gay-Lussac's laws?
- V1 = V2
- What is the general gas law?
- P1V1 = P2V2
- What is avogadro's law?
- dependence of volume on # of moles at constant T and P
- What is the law of combining volumes?
- in a chemical reaction at the same T and P, the volume ratio of gases is equal to the mole ratio
- What is the definition of boyle's law?
- pressure of a fixed amount of gas at a constant T is inversely proportional to the volume of gas
- What is the definition of the Charles's and Gay-Lussac's laws?
- volume of a fixed amount of gas at a constant P is directly proportional to the absolute T or the gas
- What is an hypothetical gas?
- a hypothetical gas, whose pressure-volume temp. behavior is completely accounted for by the ideal gas equation
- What is an ideal gas?
- no forces between atoms, neglect volume of individual atoms in comparison to volume of container, the chemical identity of gas is unimportant in describing its behavior, all gases are created equal
- What does the # of moles = to?
- mass/Molar Mass
- What is the formula for Molar mass?
- What is partial pressure?
- pressure of individual components in a mixture
- What is Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures?
- the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the pressures that each gas would exert if it were present alone
- What is the formula for partial pressure?
- Pi= n1 RT
- What is the total pressure formula?
- Pt=the sum of the partial pressures
- What is the definition of a mole fraction?
- a dimensionless number that expresses the ratio of the # of moles of one component to the # of moles of all components present
- What is the formula for mole fraction?
- What is the formula for partial pressures?
- What is the formula for gas collected over water?
- Pt=Pi + Ph20
- Does water vapor increase or decrease with temperature?
- increase with increased temp.
- What is the Kinetic Molecular theory of gases?
- a theory developed by Boltzman and Maxwell to explain the physical properties of gases in terms of their molecular motion.
- What is the formula for kinteic energy?
- energy of motion, KE=1/2 mu^2
- What are the units of J for kinetic energy?
- J=1 kg m^2 s^-2
- What is the average kinetic energy of a molecule formula?
- __ ____
- What is the formula for the average kinetic energy per mole?
- ____ ___
KEmol = 1/2 Mu^2
- How does temperature relate to the average kinetic energy for an ideal gas?
- they are directly proportionate
- what does the average kinetic energy per mole depend on?and what is the formula?
- temperature, __
- What is the relationship of the mean square speed to the temperature and the molar mass, M?
u^2= 3 RT
You must Login or Register to add cards