Glossary of Chemistry-Periodic Trends
Other Decks By This User
- How is the periodic table defined?
- Arrangement of the elements in order of their atomic numbers so that elements with similar properties fall in the same column.
- How did Dobereiner organize the elements?
- into traids of elements with shared properties
- How did Newlands organize the elements?
- by atomic masses and into groups of elements with similar properties.
- What is the law of octaves?
- properties of the elements repeat after 8 elements
- What was Mendeleev’s contribution to organizing the elements?
- What was special about his arrangement? Organized by atomic mass into groups. He also left gaps for undiscovered elements and predicted some of the properties of these unknown elemetns
- Define periodic law.
- the physical and chemical properties of elements are periodic functions fo their atomic numbers
- How did Moseley rearrange the periodic table? (What did he use that was different than previous efforts?)
- He used the atomic numbers that he discovered becasue of his x-ray experiment
- Where are metalloids found on the periodic table?
- near the “staircase”
- Where are nonmetals found on the periodic table?
- right side of the “staircase”
- Where are the alkali metals found on the periodic table?
- group 1
- Where are the alkaline earth metals found on the periodic table?
- group 2
- Where are the transition metals found on the periodic table?
- Where are the inner transition metals found on the periodic table?
- What is the lanthanide series?
- top row of f-block
- What is the actinide series?
- bottom row of f-block
- Where are the halogens found on the periodic table?
- group 17
- Where are the noble gases found on the periodic table?
- group 18
- Atomic Radius – ______ across period, ______ bottom to top of group
- decreases, decreases
- Valence Electrons – _______ across period (s & p block elements only), stays same in a group
- Ionic Radius – ______across period, ______ bottom to top of group
- Decreases, decreases
- Electronegativity - _______ across period, _______ bottom to top of group
- increases, increases
You must Login or Register to add cards