Glossary of Chem midterm part 5
Other Decks By This User
- Credited as the father of the periodic table (also predicted unknown elements)
- Dimitri Mendeleev (Lothar Meyer too)
- The Original Periodic Law states that...
- The physical and chemical properties of elements are the periodic functions of their atomic weights.
- Developed the concept of the atomic number.
- Henry Moseley
- The Modern Periodic Law states that...
- The physical and chemical properties of the elements are periodic functions of their atomic number.
- Vertical arrangements of elements in the periodic table are called...
- Groups or Families
- Main group elements are represented by the letter...
- Transition elements are represented by the letter...
- Elements in the same group have the same number of
- valence electrons
- electrons in the outermost energy level that are involved in chemical bonding are called...
- valence electrons
- A filled outermost energy level is called a...
- noble gas electron arrangement.
- Name these groups:
Group IA, Group IIA, Group VIA, Group VIIA, Group VIIIA
- (IA) Alkali metals, (IIA) Alkaline Earth metals, (VIA) Chalcogens, (VIIA) Halogens, (VIIIA) Noble (inert) gases
- The Octet Rule states that...
- Main group elements tend to gain(non-metal), lose(metals), or share(non-metals) electrons to achieve 8 valence electrons in their outermost energy level.
- Horizontal arrangements of elements in the periodic table are called...
- Periods or Series
- 4 Properties of Metals are...
- -Elements to the left of the "zig zag" line of the periodic table
-Generally solids at room temp and pressure
-Tend to give up electrons
-Good conductors of heat and electricity, have er, and are malleable and ductile.
- 4 Properties of Non-metals are...
- -located to the right ofd the staircase
-variety of states and at room temp and pressure...many gases
-tend to gain or share electrons
-Properties opposite of metals (poor conductors, dull, brittle)
You must Login or Register to add cards