Glossary of Chem Test Sept 06
Other Decks By This User
- Who was the first person to coin the term atomos?
- What does atomos mean in English?
- Who was the first person to show experimental evidence that atoms existed?
- Robert Boyle
- Anything that has mass and occupies space
- A particle that cannot be broken down, the basic unit of matter
- A particle made of atoms stuck together with chemical bonds
- A group of atoms (or sometimes molecules). All the atoms are identical (even within the molecules).
- A group of molecules. All the molecules are identical. Within these molecules, there are more than 1 type of atm.
- Pure Substance
- A group of particles in which all the particles are identical
- A group of particles in which the particles are not identical
- Homogenous mixture
- A mixture that is the same throughout, uniform
- Heterogeneous mixture
- A mixture that is not the same throughout
- Filtration: separation by...
- Distillation: separation by...
- Boiling points
- Settling: separation by...
- What is the difference between evaporation and boiling?
- Evaporation is possible at many different temperatures and boiling only happens at a specific temperature.
- Solid to liquid
- Liquid to gas
- Gas to liquid
- Liquid to solid
- What causes atoms to speed up?
- What phase is compressible?
- Gas phase.
- What phase is the densest?
- What phase has no definite shape?
- Liquid and gas
- What phase fills the container?
- 4 indications of chemical change
- Color change
Release of heat or light
- Physical Property
- Characteristics of substances that differentiate them from one another.
- Chemical Property
- Substances react with one another and transforms the substances.
- Physical Change
- Physical properties have changed but the chemical composition remains the same.
- Chemical Change
- When chemical bonds are broken or formed.
- Physical changes are reversible.
True or false.
- It's the energy of moving particles
- Explain how the compressibility of gases supports the belief that matter is made out of atoms.
- If there was no empty space, compressing gas would not be possible
You must Login or Register to add cards