Glossary of Chem 16 vocab
Other Decks By This User
- the branch of chemistry that is the study of the energy changes that accompany chemical reactions and changes of state.
- a device used to measure the energy as heat absorbed or released in a chemical or physical change.
- a measure of how hot or cold something is; a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object.
- the unit used to express energy; equivalent to the amount of work done by a foce of 1N acting through a distance of 1m in the direction of the force
- the energy transferred between objects that are at different temperatures; energy is always transferred from higher-temperature objects to lower-temperature objects until thermal equilibrium is reached.
- the quantity of heat required to raise one unit mass of homogeneous material 1K or 1C in a specified way given constant pressure and volume.
- specific heat
- the amount of energy released or absorbed as heat by a system during a process at constant pressure.
- enthalpy of change
- the amount of energy released or absorbed as heat during a chemical reaction.
- enthalpy of reaction
- an equation that includes the quantity of energy as heat released or absorbed during the reaction as written.
- thermochemical equation
- the amount of energy as heat resulting from the formation of 1 mol of a substance at constant pressure.
- molar enthalpy of formation
- the energy released as heat by the complete combustion of a specific amount of a substance at constant pressure of constant volume.
- enthalpy of combustion
- the overall enthalpy change in a reaction is equal to the sum of the enthalpy changes for the individual steps in the process.
- Hess's law
- a measure of the randomness or disorder of a system.
- the energy in a system that is available for work; a system's capacity to do useful work.
- free energy
- the difference between the change in enthalpy, ^H, and the product of the Kelvin temperature and the entropy change, which is defined as T^S, at a constant pressure and temperature.
- free-energy change
You must Login or Register to add cards