Glossary of Chapter One, Section One
Other Decks By This User
- According to Native American theory, what animal was the Earth?
- Where were the first people to enter American wilderness from?
- Who were the Paleo-Indians? What did they know how to do?
- the First Americans; they knew how to make fire, how to find food, and how to find shelter in harsh environments
- Were Paleo-Indians hunter-gatherers?
- yup yup
- What are hunter-gatherers?
- People who hunt animals and gather wild plants to provide for their needs
- What is the tundra?
- An often barren, arctic region
- What factor dramatically changed American landscape?
- The climate grew warmer and drier
- Did any of the Native American people keep written records?
- Noper Doper
- What does "Kulsu" mean?
- The Creator
- What weapons did the Paleo-Indians use for hunting?
- Clovis points (stone tips)
- What were the first mothers of all Tewa known as?
- "Blue Corn Woman, Near to Summer"
- What was the most dramatic change the Paleo-Indians made? What was this officially called?
- The shift from hunting and gathering to the domestication, or adapting and controlling, of plants
This was called the Agricultural Revolution
- What was subsistence farming?
- Growing just enough crops for survival
- Where did teh first cities appear?
- Southwestern Asia
- What was Olmec?
- The first great Mesoamerican culture
- What culture was the mother culture of Mesoamerica?
- Olmec - it strongly influenced later societies
- What was one of the first Olmec settlements?
- San Lorenzo
- Which culture developed the beginnings of a calendar and writing?
- Which culture practiced slash-and-burn agriculture?
- Olmec, of course!
- Who refined the Olmec calendar?
- Name 3 Mayan settlements
- What is a quetzal?
- A bird (royal)
- Who were the Toltec?
- A group that took over central Mexico
- What was a Toltec city-state?
- What did the Aztecs call themselves?
- What was the Aztec capital?
- What did the Aztec's view as a sacred duty?
- Who was the Aztec's sung god?
- What was the most powerful culture?
- The Inca
- Where was the Incan capital?
- Which was the largest empire?
- The Incan Empire
- What didn't the Incas do that the Aztecs did?
- Force their newly conquered subjects to pay tribute
- Who was teh first major Inca ruler?
- Pachacutec Inca Yupanqui
- Which culture settled in teh barren hills and deserts of the Southwest?
- The Anasazi
- What was a kiva?
- A round room that served as a sacred/ceremonial space
- Who were the Anasazi probably related to?
- the Pueblo Indians
- Which cultures of the Eastern Woodlands combined hunting and gathering with farming to support relatively large populations?
What are these called?
- Adena and Hopewell
They are called Mound Builders
- Where was the largest Mississippian settlement located at?
You must Login or Register to add cards