Glossary of Chapter Nine: Development
Other Decks By This User
- Which of the following is not an economic indicator of devlopment:
GDP per capita
Types of jobs
- Literacy rate
- How much of the world's population in MDCs consumes 5/6 of the world's goods?
- What are the two ways to develop?
- self-sufficiency and international trade
- Which way to develop is most used now?
- Which way to develop is the most efficient?
- international trade
- What are the restrictions in the self-sufficientcy development plan?
- Cannot import food
Importers must have a licience
fix quotas to really restrict importing
- What are the problems of the self-sufficient growth plan?
- -companies are insuffiecient because of no competittion
-a lot of people are needed to run this government
-some selling of imported goods on the black market
- Who made up the idea of the international trade growth plan?
- When was the international trade idea thought of?
- How many stages does the international trade plan have?
- What are the first three stadges in the international trade plan?
- All are LDCs
2.preconditions to take off
-samll group of leaders influence the trade
-invest in technology and infrsatructure(roads & schools)
-people work harder to keep conditions good
3. take off
-raoid growth from limited # of activities
- What are the last two stadges in the international trade plan?
- Describe MDCs
4. drive to maturity
-workers become more skilled
5. age of mass consumption
-main production changes to consumer goods
- What does the international trade growth plan do?
- creates competition from other countries to improve the quiality of the products sold
- How has the international trade model affected the MDCs of today?
- Most of the MDCs of today developed this way
- What is holding back the devlopment in the Persian Gulf?
- Lack of women's rights: 50% of the population can not hold important jobs.
- What are some problems with the international trade alternative?
- -uneven reasource distribution
>world market growing slower than in the past
-Dependance on MDCs
>lesson food(other necesities too) production, then have ot import it
- True/ False: LDCs borrow money from MDCs or a worldbank, but if they don't pay it off then they will not be loaned money from that same place anymore
- Who started the transinternational programs?
- the US
- Why did the US start the transinternational programs?
- Cheap labor
- Where are the two largest areas of international investment?
- China and Brazil
- Who are the four asian dragons?
- Taiwan, Singapore, Hong-Kong, and South Korea
- Who are the small port-sized cities?
- Hong-Kong and Singapore
- What do the four asian dragons not have?
- natural reasources
- What enables the four asian dragons to sell their products for lower costs?
- cheap labor
You must Login or Register to add cards