Glossary of Chapter 6: Running Water and Ground Water Questions
Other Decks By This User
- Name the five processes involved in the water cycle.
- What does balancing in the water cycle mean?
- It means the average annual precipitation over Earth equals the amount of water that evaporates.
- The ability of a stream to erode and transort materials depends largely on what?
- What is one change from upstream to downstream?
- While the gradient decreases between a stream's headquarters and mouth, discharge increases.
- Name three factors that increase downstream.
- Name two factors that decrease downstream.
- -Gradient, or Slope
- What is a feature of Karst Topography?
- What shape are most younger streams? What are some characteristics?
- Narrow v-shape valleys include rapids and waterfalls. Stream is just starting to cut through.
- What do wide valleys signify?
- A stream near base level.
- Name three features of a wide valley.
- Name some methods used to control floods.
- -Artificial levees
-Flood control dams
-Placing limits on floodplain developement
- How are hotsprings heated?
- They are heated by the cooling of igneous rocks.
- Define artesian well.
- A well in which groundwater rises on its own pressure.
- What are some environmental problems associated with groundwater?
- What is a cavern?
- A cavern is a naturallt formed underground chamber formed in the zone of aeration.
-Stalactites: hanging from the ceiling
-Stalagmites: growing upward from the floor
You must Login or Register to add cards