Glossary of Chapter 4 - The Cell in Action
Other Decks By This User
- The movement of particles from regions of higher density to regions of lower density.
- The diffusion of water through a semipermeable membrane.
- The movement of substances across a cell membrane without the use of energy by the cell.
- Passive Transport
- The movement of substances across the cell membrane that requires the cell to use energy.
- Active Transport
- The process by which a cell membrane surrounds a particle and encloses the particle in a vesicle to bring the particle into the cell.
- The process in which a cell releases a particle by enclosing the particle in a vesicle that then moves to the cell surface and fuses with the cell membrane.
- The process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria use sunlight, carbon dioxide, and water to make food.
- The process by which cells use oxygen to produce energy from food.
- Cellular Respiration
- The breakdown of food without the use of oxygen.
- The life cycle of a cell.
- Cell Cycle
- In a eukaryotic cell, one of the structures in the nucleus that are made up of DNA and protein; in a prokaryotic cell, the main ring of DNA.
- Chromosomes that have the same sequence of genes and the same structure.
- Homologous Chromosomes
- In Eukaryotic cells, a process of cell division that forms two new nuclei, each of which has the same number of chromosomes.
- The division of the cytoplasm of a cell.
You must Login or Register to add cards