Glossary of Chapter 3 Voyages of Christopher Columbus
Other Decks By This User
- How did Columbus' shipwreck at age 25 change his life?
- He swam ashore in Genoa and went to live with his BROTHER who taught him MAPMAKING.
- How did reading the classical scholars Ptolemy and Mmarinus of Tyre?
- He learned MATH and GEOGRAPHY which helped him in map making and NAVIGATION.
- Where did Columbus learn his deep sea navigation skills and how to sail a caravel?
- He spent ten years as a MERCHANT SEAMAN in Portugal, sailing to Africa.
- How did Columbus gain access to the closely guarded navigation secrets of the Portuguese?
- He MARRIED PORTUGUESE SEA CAPTAIN'S DAUGHTER and could study her father's maps and charts.
- What was the great vision Columbus tried to get funding for?
- He wanted to SAIL WEST to arrive in the EAST.
- Why did Portugal deny Columbus support for his voyage?
- They still believed that the Atlantic was TOO FAR FOR ANYONE TO BE ABLE TO SAIL IT.
- Who financed Columbus' four voyages and why did he have to wait six years for it?
- KING FERDINAND & QUEEN ISABELLA of SPAIN. They had to finish the RECONQUISTA, or getting their land back ffrom the Muslim Moors.
- What was the Enterprise of the West Indies?
- Columbus' name for his plan to establish a SEA ROUTE TO ASIA BY SAILING WEST.
- WHY was Isabella willing to finance Columbus?
- She wanted to SPREAD CHRISTIANITY around the world.
- HOW did Spain finance Columbus?
- Isabella KICKED THE JEWS OUT of Spain and SEIZED THEIR LAND.
- What benefits did Columbus insist on receiving for his voyage?
- Become a NOBLEMAN, COAT OF ARMS, 10% of WEALTH from conquered lands, RIGHT TO RULE any conquered lands.
- Where did Columbus land in his first voyage? Where did he THINK he was?
- He landed in the BAHAMAS (naming it San Salvador). He thought he was in ASIA.
- What was La Navidad?
- Columbus' FORT and his SHIP made from the ruins of the wrecked Santa Maria.
- How did Columbus and his men treat the Indians?
- BRUTALLY, they committed GENOCIDE. Columbus took them as SLAVES.
- What lies did Columbus tell the King and Queen when he returned to Spain?
- He said he found GOLD, SPICES. He told them the Indians were cannibals and would make good slaves.
- Why did Isabella get so angry with Columbus that she had him brought home in leg irons from his third voyage and finally withdrew support altogether?
- She was angry at his BRUTALITY to the Indians and SLAVE RAIDING.
- What was Columbus' real contribution?
- His discoveries in GEOGRAPHY.
- What was the Line of Demarcation and the Treaty of Tordesillas?
- Lands to the EAST OF THE LINE - PORTUGAL. Lands to the WEST OF THE LINE - SPAIN. They signed a TREATY to agree to it.
- Name four important navigators after Columbus. Where did they sail?
- 1. PEDRO A. CABRAL - sailed to BRAZIL
2. AMERIGO VESPUCCI - first to realize S. America was NOT ASIA. Named it NEW WORLD.
3. BALBOA - Spanish, discovered PACIFIC OCEAN.
4. MAGELLAN - first to sail from ATLANTIC TO PACIFIC (went through STRAIT OF MAGELLAN at the tip of S.America)
- Who was the first to circle the globe?
- MAGELLAN'S CREW under CAPTAIN del CANO. in the VICTORIA (after Magellan died).
You must Login or Register to add cards