Glossary of Chapter 3 The Constitution
Other Decks By This User
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 3
- Popular Sovereignty
- means the people are the only source of governmental power
- Limited Government
- government is not all-powerful, that it may do only those things that the people have given it the power to do
- the governement must be conducted according to constitutional principles.
- Rule of Law
- government and its officers are always subject to-never above- the law
- Checks and Balances
- each branch is subject to a number of constitutional checks (restraints) by the other branches.
- Judicial Review
- the power to decide whether what government does is in accord with what the constitution provides
- a governmental action found to violate some provision of the Constitution.
- the division of power among a central government and several regional governments
- Formal Amendment
- changes or additions that become part of the written language of the Constitution itself
- Informal Amendment
- the process by which many changes have been made in the constitution that have not led to changes in the document's written words
- Executive Agreement
- a pact made by the President directly with the head of a foreign state
You must Login or Register to add cards