Glossary of Chapter 3: The Renaissance
Other Decks By This User
- When was the Renaissance and what does it mean?
- 1300 - 1500 FRENCH for REBIRTH because people had renewed THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE.
- What did people study during the Renaissance?
- The CLASSICAL texts of GREECE & ROME (like BLS!) and the SCIENCE, PHILOSOPHY, MEDICAL books of MUSLIMS.
- Who was Gutenberg?
- German goldsmith who invented the PRINTING PRESS in 1454.
- How did the printing press change the European world?
- It made KNOWLEDGE accessible to EVERYONE.
- How did Venice and Genoa finance their growing trade with the East and revolutionize the way business was done?
- JOINT STOCK COMPANIES where several people could POOL THEIR MONEY to create enough CAPITAL for the trips.
- What started the rivalry for sea routes to the East?
- OTHER COUNTRIES wanted to BREAK THE ITALIAN MONOPOLY over trade; land routes already dominated by Italians.
- How did Portugal become the leader in sea exploration?
- PRINCE HENRY THE NAVIGATOR built POWERFUL NAVY, INSTITUTE OF SEA had best MAPS, new ship CARAVEL.
- Why did Prince Henry the Navigator want to find a sea route to the East?
- TRADE and BRING CHRISTIANITY TO THE EAST.
- Why did Portugal increase its slave trade so dramatically in the 1440's.
- They needed masses of UNSKILLED LABOR to work on Portuguese SUGAR PLANTATIONS.
- How did the Portuguese transform slavery?
- They only used the slaves' BRUTE LABOR; came to see slaves as INFERIOR, discouraged idea of slaves developing their skills and talents. DISRESPECT FOR WHOLE RACIAL GROUP = RACISM.
- Who was Bartolomeu Dias?
- In 1487 sailed around TIP OF AFRICA, king named it CAPE OF GOOD HOPE.
- Who was Vasco da Gama?
- Established the FIRST ALL-WATER-ROUTE-TO-ASIA. (Had the nelp of Muslim pilot Abu Majid when he reached east coast of Africa.)Landed in Calcutta, India.
You must Login or Register to add cards