Glossary of Chapter 1 - Stearns
Other Decks By This User
- How long have the human species existed?
- about 2-2.5 million years
- What are the drawbacks to humans as a species?
- Unusually agressive against their own
Babies are dependent for a long time
Back problems from upright posture
Awareness of inevitability of death
- What are the good features of the human species?
- Can manipulate objects easily
Have a high and regular sex drive - aids in reproduction
They're omnivores - can spread to more places
Distinctive human brain and facility for elaborate speech
- How long was the Paleolithic?
- Most of the 2 plus million years during which the species existed.
- When did the Paleolithic end?
- about 14,000 yrs ago
- What did humans learn in technology during the Paleolithic?
- only simple tool use, mainly through shaped rocks and sticks
- When was fire tamed?
- 750,000 yrs ago
- What happened to the species during Paleolithic?
- more emphasis brought to erect stature and growing brain capacity.
- When did Homo erectus emerge?
- between 500,000 and 750,000 yrs ago
- When and where did Homo Sapiens originate?
- about 120,000 in Africa
- What was it like in the hunting groups during the Paleolithic?
- groups were small, people had to roam far for food
woman gathered fruits and vegetables
people didn't work too hard
there was equality between sexes because o equal amount of work
- When and with who did speech develop?
- Homo erectus about 100,000 yrs ago
- What did people develop by later Paleolithic?
- cultures, with rituals to lessen fear of death
- What was the greatest achievement of the Paleolithic people?
- The spread of the species all over the globe
- What present-day countries did Homo sapiens originate in?
- Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda
- What were the key discoveries of the Paleolithic people?
- fire and using animal skins for clothes
- When did the first people move out of Africa?
- about 750,000 yrs ago
- When did the first people move across the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska?
- believed to be about 30,000 yrs ago
- When was the land bridge to Alaska eliminated and why?
- about 8,000 BCE
because of warmer climate and rising ocean levels
- When did the last great ice age end?
- about 14,000 yrs ago
- When was the Mesolithic period?
- 12,000 to 8000 BCE
- What happened to technology during Mesolithic peroid?
- people learned to fashion stome tools better ( sharpen and shape and make needles)
- What were the dramatic developments of the Neolithic?
- invention of agriculture
creation of cities
You must Login or Register to add cards