Glossary of Chapter 17 Evidence Custody- MAA Manual
Other Decks By This User
- What is evidence?
- Anything that tends to prove or disprove a fact in issue either directly or by interference. Can be physical or testimonial.
- Physical Evidence is broken down into what 3 catagories?
- 1) Movable Evidence- Can be transported from crime scene/other location.
2) Fixed or immovable Evidence- Cannot be removed or transported. Ex: Wall, telephone pole, etc.
3) Fragile Evidence- If special care is not taken to preserve evidence, it could deteriorate to point where it is no longer of evidentiary value.
- How do you properly mark evidence that is capable of being marked?
- Use initials of collector and military date/time. Markings should not destroy any latent characteristics, reduce function, or devalue it.
- How do you mark evidence that cannot be marked as normal?
- Place the item into a secure container, mark the container and attach an evidence tag.
- What is the form number for an Evidence Custody Document (ECD)?
- OPNAV Form 5527/22
- How many copies of the Evidence Custody Document are made?
- 4- 1)Original and 3)copies
- How is the last/3rd copy used?
- The 3rd copy is used as a receipt when evidence is obtained from an individual.
- How is the orignal and other 2 copies used?
- The original and 2 copies/evidence are turned over to the Evidence Custodian who then maintains the original and first copy. The second copy is returned to the Patrolman for an ICR enclosure.
- How are the evidence tags attached to each item?
- A tag must be attached to each separate item. If the item is collected as a single unit (ex: toolbox with tools) one tag will suffice.
- What are the forms for the a) Evidence Card and b) Evidence sticker?
- a)OPNAV 5527/17A b)OPNAV 5527 17B
- What is the form for the Evidence Log?
- OPNAV Form 5527/24
- Who maintains the Evidence Log?
- The Evidence Custodian
- What items are required to be on the evidence log?
- 1) Log Number (Julian date-year-sequential log number)
2)Date and time received by the evidence custodian
3)Security force member submitting the evidence
4)Subject title (OFFENSE-UCMJ article)
- How long is the evidence log and all supporting documentation kept?
- 5 years from the last date of entry
You must Login or Register to add cards