Glossary of Chapter 14 Flash Cards
Other Decks By This User
- Acheiving Wealth or influence through one's own effort rather than being born to a priveleged family
- Self-made (man)
- Employees of the government
- Civil Servants
- the practice of rewarding political suporters with government jobs
- spoils system
- a tax impossed by the government on goods from another country
- to withdraw from an organization or alliance
- When was the first time common people could vote ?
- Who could vote before the 1820's?
- the rich and well born
- What did Jackson decide to do after the war?
- become a lawyer
- What was Jackson's nickname?
- Old Hickory
- What did Jackson's supporters accuse Henry Clay and John Qunicy Adams of making?
- a corrupt bargain
- The idea that common people should control their government became known as what?
- Jacksonian Democracy
- What did Congress hope to incourage the growth of by raising tariff on goods?
- American manufacturing
- What region did the Nullification Crisis favor?
- The North
- Who lead the Nullification Crisis?
- John C. Calhoun
- What state was against the Tariffs the most?
- South Carolina
- Who did Jackson believe the Bank of the US benifitted?
At whose expense?
- Rich, Easterners
at the farmers and workers expense (common people)
- Who was the Bank's president that Jackson distrusted?
- Nicholas Biddle
- Who tried to renew the Bank's charter 4 years early?
- Henry Clay
- What did citizens call the tribes of indians that could read and write, farmed, and had their own Constitution and a newspaper?
- Five Civilized Tribes
- Who was the cheif of the Sac and Fox Tribes?
- Black Hawk
- What tribe were the 17,000 indians forced west from?
How many died?
You must Login or Register to add cards