Glossary of Chapter 11 History
Other Decks By This User
- US Supreme Court case that established the principle of judicial review.
- Marbury vs. Madison
- The Supreme Court has the right to declare an act of Congress to be unconstitutional and without any legal authority.
- judicial review
- Purchase of French land between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains that doulbed the size of the US, in 1803.
- Louisiana Purchase
- Expedition that began in 1804 to explore the lands of the Louisiana Purchase.
- Lewis and Clark Expedition
- British practice of forcing people, including American citizens, to serve in the British army or navy.
- Banning of trade with a country.
- 1807 Law that prohibited American merchants from trading with other countries.
- Embargo Act
- Law that replaced the Embargo Act and restored trade wiht all nations except Britain and France.
- Non-Intercourse Act
- US victory led by Harrison, over an Indian confederation that wanted to stop white settlement in the NW Territory.
- Battle of Tippecanoe
- Members of Congress who wanted to declare war against Britain after the Battle of Tippecanoe, because they thought they had provoked the Indians.
- War Hawks
- US victory in the War of 1812, led by Oliver Perry; broke Britain's control of Lake Erie.
- Battle of Lake Erie
- Greatest US Victory in the War of 1812 which took place 2 weeks after treaty had been signed.
- Battle of New Orleans
- US victory in the War of 1812, led by Harrison, that ended the Indian-British alliance in the Great Lakes.
- Battle of the Thames
- US victory in the War 1812 in which Andrew Jacksons troops forced Creek Indians to give up much of their land in the south.
- Battle of Horseshoe Bend
- Meeting of Federalists at Connecticut city, to protest the War of 1812.
- Hartford Convention
- Treaty signed in 1814 by the US and Britain ending the War of 1812?
- Treaty of Ghent
- Naval Captain during the War of 1812, who won victory over the British on Lake Erie?
- Captain Oliver Perry
- Republican President during the War of 1812?
- James Madison
- Shawnee Indian chief who tried to unite the American Indians of the Northwest Territory,south, and Mississippi, to oppose American settlement.
- Emperor of France at the time of the War of 1812?
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Explorer sent on a mission to find the starting point of the Red River in Louisiana for the purposes of finding a trade route.
- Zebulon Pike
- The wife of a fur trader who helped Lewis and Clark as guide throught the territory?
- Former slave that defended Saint Domingue (Haiti)against the French?
- Toussant L'Ouverture
- Chief Justice of the US appointed by Adams whose ruling established the principle of judicial review?
- John Marshall
- The appointed Federalist judge that demanded that the Supreme Court force the executive branch to hand over his commission.
- William Marbury
- Why did Jefferson want to explore the Lousiana Purchase? 2 reasons
- 1) Americans knew very little about the Indians and the land they occupied.
2) Wanted to find a river route to the Pacific Ocean.
- The former army captain appointed by Jefferson to be one of the leaders of the Louisana Purchase Expedition?
- Meriwether Lewis
- Lieutenant chosen by Lewis, to be co-leader of the Louisana Purchase Expedition?
- William Clark
- Creek Indian Chief who battled Andrew Jackson; losing in the Battle of Horseshoe Bend?
- Chief Red Eagle
- Who wrote The Star Bangled Banner?
- Francis Scott Key
You must Login or Register to add cards