Glossary of Ch 19 Light
Other Decks By This User
- X Rays
- Have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency that ultraviolet radiation.
- tiny, particle-like bundles of radiation.
- visible radiation
- or light, is the only part of the electro magnetic spectrum you can see.
- ultraviolet radiation
- has a higher frequency than visible light, so its photons are more energetic and have greater penetrating power then photons of visible light.
- opaque material
- absorb or reflect all light, and you cannot see objects through them.
- a colored material that absorbs some colors and reflects others.
- Diffraction Grating
- Is a piece of glass or plastic made of up many parallels.
- The bending of waves around a barrier.
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Electromagnetic waves produced by the motion of electrically charged particles.
- Fluorecent Light
- Produces light without excessive loss of thermal energy.
- Gamma Rays
- Have the highest frequency and are the most penetrating of all electromagnetic waves.
- Incandescent Light
- Produced by a thin wire called a filiment.
- Infared Radiation
- Has a wavelength slightly longer than visible light.
- Radio waves with the highest frequency and energy.
- Process of varying radio wves.
- Transparent Materials
- Allow light to pass through and you can clearly see objects through them.
- Translucent Materials
- Allow light to pass through, but you cannot clearly see objects through them.
- The bending of waves caused by change in their speed when they move from one medium to another.
- Occurs when a wave strikes an object and bounces off.
- Radio Waves
- Have long wavelengths and low frequencies.
You must Login or Register to add cards