Glossary of Ch 13History
Other Decks By This User
- Period of rapid growth in the use of machines in manufacturing and production that began in the mid 1700's.
- Industrial Revolution
- Another word for manufactured cloth?
- Tools used to produce goods or to do work?
- Process developed by Eli Whitney in the 1790's that called for making each vital part of a machine exactly the same.
- interchangeable parts
- Efficient production of large numbers of identical goods.
- mass production
- Worker's organizations that try to inprove working conditions?
- trade unions
- Refusal of workers to perfom their job until employers meet union demands.
- Rapid growth in the speed and convenience of transportation; in the US it began in the early 1800's?
- Transportation Revolution
- Name of the first full-sized US Commerical steamboat; invented by Robert Fulton
- Sleek, fast, tall-masted sailing ship invented in 1840?
- clipper ship
- Machine invented by Samuel Morse in 1837 that used a system of dots and dashes to send messages long distances electronically through a wire.
- System developed that represented each letter of the alphabet by a certain combination of dots and dashes.
- Morse code
- Inventor of the mechanical reaper made to cut down wheat on farms.
- Cyrus McCormick
- Developed the sewing machine invented by one of his factory workers.
- Isacc Singer
- Inventor of the Steam powered boat?
- Robert Fulton
- English inventor of the spinning jenny which was a hand powered spinning wheel.
- James Hargreaves
- Inventor of the water frame, a large spinning wheel powered by a water wheel.
- Richard Arkwright
- British mechanic who came to the US and started his own texitle mill using the water frame invention?
- Samuel Slater
- New England businessman who used the water mill system to make cloth?
- Francis Cabot Lowell
- Founder of the Lowell Female Labor Reform Association who worked hard to publicize the struggles of the factory workers.
- Sarah Bagley
- Manufacturer of one of the first steam trains called Tom Thumb, that raced against a horse?
- Peter Cooper
- Inventor of the steel plow?
- John Deere
You must Login or Register to add cards