Glossary of Ch. 4 Chemistry Notes
Other Decks By This User
- What is the Octet Rule?
- reacting atoms will gain or lose electrons to resemble the electronic configuration of noble gases
- Do metals in the octet rule gain or lose electrons?
- Do nonmetals in the octet rule gain or lose electrons?
- What are simple ions?
- atoms with a net positive or negative charge due to a loss or gain of electrons
- What is an electrovalence?
- the charge on an ion
- What is an Ionic Bond?
- an attraction between oppositley charge atoms
- What is isoelectronic?
- same electronic configuration
- What are binary compounds?
- contains just two types of atoms
- What are the two rules for naming a compound?
- -Metallic elements first
-Nonmetallic elements second with suffix -ide
- What is ionic?
- Attraction between oppositley charged atoms
-Metal + Nonmetal
- What is covalent?
- Nonmetal + Nonmetal
- What is covalent bonding?
- bonding where atoms can share Outershell electrons to satisfy octet rule.
- what is an electronic dot formula?
- also called Lewis structure; Outershell electrons are represented by dots.
- What is the def. for poyatomic ions?
- covalently bonded atoms that carry a net charge.
- What is resonance?
- when a polyatomic ion or molecule can be represented by two or more equivalent structural formulas
- what is the name of the theory that predicts the molecular shapes based on mutual repulsion or e- pairs?
- VSEPR theory
- What is nonpolar covalent bonds?
- the bonding pair of electrons is shared equally
Example: Cl-Cl, O=O, H-H
- what is polar covalent bonds?
- the bonding pair of electrons is shared unequally
Example: H-Br, C-O, H-O-H
You must Login or Register to add cards