Glossary of Ch. 18 Cell Bio
Other Decks By This User
- normal benign sequence of cell death in which a acell shrinks the DNA framents and changes in the cell surface activate its phagocytosis by macrophages.
- Bcl 2 family
- family of intracellular proteins that either promote or inhibit apoptosis by regulation teh activation of caspases.
- proteases that are involved in carrying out apoptosis.
- Cdk inhibitor protein
- protein that inhibits cyclin-Cdk complexes, primarily to inhibit progress through the G1 and S phase of the cell cycle.
- cell cycle
- reproductive cycle of the cell; the orderly sequence of events by which a cell duplicates its contents and divides into two.
- cell cycle control system
- network of regulatory proteins that governs progression of a euk. cell through the cell cycle.
- point in he euk. cell division cycle where progress through the cycle can be halted until conditions are suitable for the cell to proceed to the next stage.
- protein that periodically rises and falls in concentration in step with the euk. cell cycle. cyclins activate cdk's and thereby help control progression from one stage of the cell cycle to the next.
- G1 phase
- Gap 1 phase of cell cycle between the end of cytokinesis and the start of DNA synthesis.
- G2 phase
- Gap 2 phase of cell cycle between S phase and M phase
- growth factor
- extracellular polypeptide signaling molecule that stimuates a cell to grow or proliferate. Ex. epidermal growth factor and PDGF
- long period of the cell cycle between one mitosis and the next.
- cyclin protein that binds to mitotic Cdk to form MCdk at the start of M phase of the cell cycle.
- an extracellular signal molecule that stimulates cell proliferation.
- origin recognition complex
- large protein complex that is bound to the DNA at origins of replication in euk. chromosomes throughout the cell cycle.
- s phase
- period where DNA is synthesized
- survival factor
- extracellular signaling molecule that must be present in order to prevent programmed cell death.
You must Login or Register to add cards