Glossary of Ch.2 elements and ions
Other Decks By This User
- A sheet of aluminum foil has a total area of 1.000ft^2 and a mass of 3.636g. The density of aluminum is 2.699g/cm^3.What is the height of the sheet?
- What did Democritus saw that matter is made of?
What is the word meaning indivisible?
- every substance is made of tiny building blocks that are indivisible and distinct.
- What did John Dalton say that matter is made of?
- composed of fundamental building blocks called atoms.
- What is used to treat Grave's disease? (hyperthryoidism)
- radioactive form of iodine-131
- What is the arrangement of these categories in the periodic table?
- a)group-goes down
c)metals-left side of zig-zag
d)nonmetals-right side of zigzag
- What is the difference between a compound and a mixture?
- a mixture is not a fixed ratio
- What is it called when the atoms in the reactants are rearranged to form new products?
- a chemical reaction
- What is the law of conservation of mass?
- matter cannot be created or destroyed
- What did J.J Thompson do?
- his cathode ray experiment measured the charge to mass ratio of the electron
- What did R.A. Millikan do?
- his Oil Drop experiment determined the charge of the elctron.
- What is the difference between a molecule and a compound?
- a molecul is covalently bonded that doesn't have to be different elements. It is an aggregate of 2 or more atoms in a definite arrangement held together.
- What kind of atoms are molecules usually formed of?
- nonmetal atoms
- What are diatomic molecules
- molecules that contain only two atoms
- What are all the diatomic molecules (other than the ones with two elements)
- 02, N2, H2, Cl2, Br2, I2, F2, and the elements that contain two elements, ex. HCl, CO
- What are polyatomic molecules?
- molecules that contain more than two atoms.
- Give some examples of polyatomic molecules?
- O3, H2O, NH3, CH4
- What are ions?
- an atom or group of atoms that has a net positive or negative charge.
atoms become ions by losing or gaining electrons
- The loss of one or more electrons from a neutral atom results in _______. an ion with a net positive charge
- a cation
- An ion whose net charge in negative is called ________.
- an anion
- Chromium (III) or chromic
- Cobalt (II) or cobaltous
- Copper (I) or cuprous
- Iron (II) or ferrous
- Iron (III) or ferric
- Lead (II) or plumbous
- Manganese (II) or manganous
- Mercury (I) or mercurous
- HgI^ 2+
- Mercury (II) or mercuric
- Hg^ 2+
- Tin (II) or stannous
- Dihydrogen phosphate
- Hydrogen carbonate or bicarbonate
- Hydrogen phophate
- Hydrogen sulfate or bisulfate
- PO4 ^3-
You must Login or Register to add cards