Glossary of Cell Voca
Other Decks By This User
- A cell membrane is ??? which means that some substances can pass through it while others cannot.
- SELECTIVELY PERMEABLE
- The process by which molecules tend to move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration.
- The diffusion of water molecules through a selectively permeable membrane is called ...
- The movement of materials through a cell membrane without using energy.
- PASSIVE TRANSPORT
- The movement of materials through a cell membrane using energy.
- ACTIVE TRANSPORT
- The process when a cell captures the energy in sunlight and uses it to make food. During the process, plants and some other organisms use energy from the sun to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and sugars including glucose.
- Chloroplasts in plant cells give plants their green color. This color comes from pigments, colored chemical compounds that absorb light.
- The main pigment found in the chlorplasts of plants.
- Carbon dioxide enters plants through these small openings on the underside of leaves.
- During respiration, cells break down simple food molecules such as glucose and release the energy they contain.
- CELLULAR RESPIRATION
- Cellular respiration occurs here.
- The regular sequence of growth and division that cells undergo.
- CELL CYCLE
- The stage of the cell cycle during which the cell's nucleus divides into two new nuclei with identical chromosomes.
- A rod-shaped cellular structure made of condensed chromatin. It contains DNA.
- The part that carries the genetic information which controls inherited characteristics such as eye color and blood type.
- One of the identical rods of a chromosome.
- This "stuff" holds the two strands of chromatids, the identical rods of a chromosome, together.
- The final stage of the cell cycle, in which the cell's cytoplasm divides, distributing the organelles into each of the two new cells.
- A characteristic that an organism can pass on to its offspring through the genes.
- The passing of traits from parents to offspring.
- An allele that is masked when a dominant allele is present.
- RECESSIVE ALLELE
- An organism that has two different alleles for a trait.
- The likelihood that a particular event will happen.
- A chart that shows all the possible combinations of alleles that can result from a genetic cross.
- PUNNETT SQUARE
- An organism's physical appearance.
- An organism's genetic makeup, or allele combinations.
- The process that occurs in sex cells (sperm and egg) by which the number of chromosomes is reduced by half.
You must Login or Register to add cards