Glossary of CH 2 The Cell (CN)
Other Decks By This User
- The _____ is the basic functional unit of all living things.
- The ________ seperates internal metabolic events from the externnal environment and controls the movement of materials into and out of the cell.
- Plasma membrane
- The plasma membrane is composed of _____________
- Phospolipid bilayer
- The phospholipid bilayer is seclectively ____________
- What can freelly cross the plasma memembrane?
- Small, uncharged polar molcules, (H2O & CO2) and hydrophobic molecules--nonpolar molecules such as O2 and lipid solubel molecules (hydrocarbons).
- The plasma membrane contains:
- __________provide passageways through the membrane for certain hydrophilic substances such as polar and charge molecules.
- Channel Proteins
- _______ is the energy source for transport across the membrame
- __________are bodies within the cytoplasm that serve to physically seperate the various metabolic activities within cells.
- Define ER
- Endoplamic Reticulum, consists of stackes of flattened sacs involved in the production of various materials.
- Golgi apparatus functions?
- to modify and package proteins and lipids into vesicles
- Define lysosomes
- are vesicles from the golgi that contain digestive enzyems. They break down food and cellular debis and foreign invaders.
- Define mitochondria
- carry out aerobic respiration, in which energy (in the form of ATP) is obtained from carbohydrates
- Name the 3 types of cell junctions
- 1. Desmosomes (protein attachments)
2. Tight junctions (tightly stitched seams)
3. Gap junctions (narrow tunnels)
- Name the types of transport
- 1. Passive transport
2. Active transport
- Name the types of Passive Transport
- 1. Osmosis
3. Facilitated diffusion
- Name the mechanisms of Active Transport
- 1. Transport protein
2. vesicle Transport
e. Receptor mediated endocytosis
You must Login or Register to add cards