Glossary of C11: The Byzantine Empire
Other Decks By This User
- Byzantine caesar over church & state who ruled Eastern Empire. He appointed the General Belisarius to drive out Ostrogoths & other Germanic tribes regaining the old Roman Empire lands.
- Who was Justinian?
- The body of Roman Civil Law collected and organized by order of the Emperor Justinian in A.D. 534.
- What was the Justinian Code?
- "Holy wisdom" , Justinian had a passion for church building. This was his most elegant church.
- What was the Hagia Sophia?
- The leading Catholic Bishop of the East but who was less powerful than the Emperor.
- Who was the Patriarch?
- Religious images used by Eastern Orthodox Christians to guide their devotions.
- What were Icons?
- To be cast out of the church.
- What is Excommunication?
- An alphabet of the Slavic (Russian) languages developed so Slavs could read the Bible in their own tongues.
- What was the Cyrillic Alphabet?
- Groups of people that inhabited the forests north of the Black Sea,who were ancestors of many Eastern Europeans today.
- Who were the Slavs?
- The son of Princess Olga, who took throne in 980. He converted to Byzantine Christinaity as well as his subjects.
- Who was Vladimir?
- In 1019, Vladimir's son came to the throne and led Kiev to
great power by marrying his daughters & sisters to powerful Kings & Queens of W. Europe to seal trade and defense alliances. He devised a legal code of Commercial culture, supported
- Who was Yaroslav the Wise?
- Prince and military hero of Novgorod who advised his fellow princes to cooperate with Mongol invaders and give them tribute & obedience.
- Who was Alexander Nevsky?
- A cold, calculating, ruthless
ruler of Russia (1440-1505) who challenged Mongol rule, took the title Czar (Caesar) and claimed to make Russia the "Third Rome".
- Who was Czar Ivan III?
- Russian term for Caesar.
- What is Czar?
- These people were possibly descendants of the Tu-Kiu (1300B.C.) who lived west of China. They were plains horsemen, pastoral herdsmen of goats & sheep, nomads who
lived in tents, used Dromedary camels for transportation. The Abbasids used them a
- Who were the Seljuks?
- Prime ministers of the Seljuk Sultans.
- What was a Vizier?
- A famous Seljuk Sultan who took pride in supporting Persian artists & architects.
He built the Mosques, patronized intellectuals like Omar Khayyam who wrote the Rubaiyat, a collection of poems about his love of life's pleasures and created an ac
- Who was Malik Shah?
You must Login or Register to add cards