Glossary of Book: Coming to America
Other Decks By This User
- A person who comes from anothter country to make a new home.
- A person who is descended from a certain ancestor. You are descended from your grandparents.
- European / Europe
- A person born in Europe. Europe is a group of countries on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.
- New World
- The Americas are part of the New World. The United States of America are part of the New World.
- People who travel to new places for the first time. Have you explored your backyard?
- Immigrants came to the United States because they wanted freedom, to be free.
- All of the people that live in a town, city, country.
- A person who goes to live in a new country.
- Courage helps people to face new things they are scared about. Helps them to be brave.
- Very unhappy. Travel on the ships was very crowded, and the food was not very good. People were miserable.
- People spoke many languages. It was hard to understand what people were saying.
- Ellis Island
- An Island where the immigrants went to make sure they were healthy.
- Statue of Liberty
- When immigrants saw the Statue of Liberty, they knew they were FREE.
- The Doctor checks to see if you are healthy when he gives you an examination.
- People who had to leave their country to be safe.
You must Login or Register to add cards