Glossary of Biology chapter 1.
Other Decks By This User
- organized way of using evidence to learn about the natural world, also, the body of knowlege that scientists have built up after years or using this process.
- use of one or more of the senses -- sight, hearing, touch, smell, and sometimes taste -- to gather information.
- evidence, information gathered from observations.
- logical interpretations based on prior knowledge and experience.
- possible explanation for a set of observations or possible answer to a scientific question
- Spontaneous generation
- hypothesis (disproven) stating that life could arise from nonliving matter.
- controlled experiment
- factor in an experiment that a scientist purposely keeps the same.
- Manipulated Variable
- factor in an experiment that a scientist purposely changes; also known as independent variable.
- Responding Variable
- factor in an experiment that a scientists wants to observe, which may change in response to the manipulated variable, also known as a dependent variable.
- well-tested explnation that unifies a broad range of observations.
- the study of life. science that seeks to understand the living world.
- collection of living matter enclosed by a barrier that separates the cell from its surroundings; basic unit of all forms of life.
- sexual reproduction
- process by which two cells from different parents unite to produce the first cell of a new organism.
- asexual reproduction
- process by which a single parent reproduces by itself.
- set of chemical reactions through which an organism builds up or breaks down materials such as it carries out its life processes.
You must Login or Register to add cards