Glossary of Biology Lab 5: Mammalian Anatomy
Other Decks By This User
- What does the tail of the rat tell us about the ancestry of the rat?
- it had reptilian ancestry
- What is the best way to tell a male rat from a female rat?
- the 3 holes, and the female has nipples
- What kind of gland is the parotid gland? and what is its function?
- produces enzymes that breaks down starch
- What is amylase?
- and enzyme that breaks down starch
- What is the passageway of air, respiratory system?
- air->nasal passages->larynx->trachea->
- What are alveoli good for?
- warms, filters and moistens air
- What is the pathway of food?
stomach-small intestines-large intestines-anus
- What is the caecum? what is its function?
- blind pouch off intestines, off appendix, breaks down plant products mainly used digestive
- What is the difference between tidal volume and vital capacity?
- vital capacity is the total breathing capacity, tidal volume is the amount of air inhaled or exhaled in a single breat
- Why is the left ventrical thicker?
- it is pumping blood to the whole body
- Why are arteries thicker?
- because they push the blood away from the body
- What is the pathway of blood?
- right atrium-right ventricle-pulmonary artery-lungs-pulmonary veins-left atrium-left ventrcle-aorta
- What is different about the pulmonary veins and arteries compared to the rest of the veins and arteries?
- the pulmonary artery is the only arter that carries deoxygenated blood, and pulmonary vein is the only vein that carries oxygenated blood
- What is the hepatic portal vein?
- connects the stomach and liver, this the way enzymes make their way
- What is the function of the small intestines?
- used for enzymatic digestion, digests carbs. and fats, nutrient absorption and water resorption
- What is the function of the large intestines?
- functions to complete water resorption from waste products, lead to rectum
- What is the function of the pancreas?
- digests carbs, fats, proteins, secretes enzymes and bicarbonates
You must Login or Register to add cards