Glossary of Biology Ch. 2 - The Cell
Other Decks By This User
- A type of microscope that lets light pass through an object and then through two or more lenses. The lenses enlarge the image and bend the light toward your eye.
- Compound light microscope
- A type of microscope that uses a magnetic field to bend beams of electrons.
- Electron microscope
- What are the three major ideas of the cell theory?
- 1. All organsims are made up of one or more cells.
2. Cells are the basic units of structure and function in all organisms.
3. All cells come from cells that already exist.
- What are the two differnt types of cell?
- Prokaryotic cells - they have no membrane around their nuclear material. (bacteria cells)
Eukaryotic cells hav a nucleus with a membrane around it. (animal and plant cells)
- A structure that forms the outer boundary of the cell and allows only certain materials to move into and out of the cell
- Cell membrane
- What is the gel-like material inside the cell membrane
- A structure that directs all the activities of the cell. It is the largest organelle in the cytoplasm of a eukaryotic cell
- The nucleus
- The nucleus contains genetic blueprints for the operations of the cell in the form of long strands called ________ ?
- A folded membrane that moves materials around in the cell. It extends from the nucleus to the cell membrane and takes up a lot of space in some cells.
- Endoplasmic reticulum
- Where cells make their own protein on these small structures in the cytoplasm.
- Stacks of membrane-covered sacs that move proteins to the outside of the cell.
- Golgi bodies
- Organelles where food molecules are broken down and energy is released. They generate energy for the cell.
- Located in the cytoplasm, these organelles contain chemicals that digest wastes and worn-out cell parts.
- Storage areas in cells.
- What is the major difference between animal cells and plant cells?
- Plant cells have cell walls and plant cells can make their own food.
You must Login or Register to add cards