Glossary of Biology 106 Test 2
Other Decks By This User
- What is the name of a meat substitute made from fungus?
- What products are being made using Quorn?
- Chicken-like nuggets
- What is the name of fungus protein?
- Scientists found the fungus used to make Quorn growing ______________.
- west of London
- What is the population of China? What will it be in 10 years?
- 2 billion; 3 billion
- The number of new mouths to feed each year is equal to ...
- the entire population of Mexico
- Pests consume or destroy __%-__% of our foods, even using pesticides.
- Most Americans eat __-__ pounds of insects every year. That's like eating ____ bees.
- 1-2 pounds; 7,000 bees
- How many children died last year from starvation and malnutrition
- 6 million
- In six asparagus: 5 insects, 40 thrips, 40 insects in 100 g sample
- 1 rodent hair per 100 g
- Coffee beans
- 10% insect-infestation damage or molded
- Fig paste
- 13 insect heads in two 100 g samples
- 20% of the body may be rotten; 5% can be stinking and rotten over 25% of body
- (used to make beer)2500 insects per ? grams
- 1% insect- or mold-infested by weight
1% excreta in a pound
- 10 oz sample: one rodent pellet or 1 rodent hair; 20 knawed grains per pound with hair in 50% of sample
- In 100 g sample: either 50 aphids, 50 thrips or 50 mites; 8 leaf miners per can; 2 spinach worms or 10% decomposition
- 55% may be moldy
- 2 maggots per can
- Golden raisins
- 35 fruit-fly eggs per 8 oz sample
- Potato chips
- 6% by weight can show rot.
The green ring around some chips is solanin, a toxin.
- Green coffee beans
- One live bug out of two containers or 2 dead ones in five containers
- 3% moldy or wormy by count
- 3.5 oz can: 20 maggots
- Whole pepper
- 1% mammalian excreta per pound on average
- __ cause the most alergies. In the United States, __ million are allergic to them.
- Peanuts; 1.5 million
- The biggest health problems in America
- diabetes and heart disease
- About how many kids nowadays are overweight?
- The most consumed food in the United States
(291 lbs a year per person)
- Second most consumed food in the United States
- Irish potatoes
(120 lbs per year)
- Unhealthy stuff on the Top 33 list
- refined sugar, oil and edible fats, ice cream, shortening, margarine, butter, lard
- Armor potted meat
- mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue
- Swift premium meats
- beef tripe, pork stomachs, rendered beef fat, lard, beef hearts, tissue solids
- Spread for crackers in Christmas package
- pork liver, lard, goose fat, goose liver, truffles
- Hogs' head cheese
- hog snouts, hog hearts, hog skin, watery pork, hog brains
- The No. 1 source of food in the world
- seed plants
- Seed plants give us ___% of the total direct food from plants.
- __% of the toal agricultural effort is to feed ___
- 80%; people
- How many species of plants are known?
- How many species of insects are there?
- 800,000-1 million
- Of all the plants in the world, how many are used for food?
- How many plants are widely cultivated?
- Of the 300 widely cultivated plants, __ produce __% of the world's food supply.
- 11; 95%
You must Login or Register to add cards