Glossary of Biology: Human Body Systems C.14 to C.20 (Pacemaker 3rd Ed.)
Other Decks By This User
- Liquid waste formed in the kidneys in mammals.
- What is Urine? p170
- Finger-shaped structures in the small intestine through which food molecules enter the blood.
- What are Villi? p156
- A muscle that a person can control.
- What is a Voluntary Muscle?
- These specialized cells for taste are on different parts of tongue.
- What are Taste Bud Receptor Cells? p. 177
- This system of human body controls the activities of the body by the Central part (brain & spinal cord) and Peripheral part (nerves outside the CNS) carrying messages to all parts of body.
- What is the Nervous System?
- Nerves that send messages between the central nervous system and other body parts.
- What is the Peripheral Nervous System? p171
- The brain and spinal cord with Medulla Oblongata which controls all activities of human body.
- What is the Central Nervous System? p172
- Connects brain to spinal cord and involuntary body functions like breathing, digestion, & heart rate.
- What is the Brain Stem and Medulla Oblongata? p173
- Upper heart chambers that receive blood returning to heart.
- What are the Right and Left Atria? p119
- The lower two heart chambers which pump blood out of heart to all body parts.
- What are the Left and Right Ventricles? p119
- This system consists of over 600 muscles in body which work with skeletal system to produce movement.
- What is the Muscular System?
- This system breaks down food for our cells to use for energy.
- What is the Digestive System?
- This system gets rid of the bodies liquid waste products.
- What is the Excretory System?
- A system that coordinates body activities through many glands that produce chemical substances called hormones into the bloodstream.
- What is the Endocrine System?
- A system that pumps blood throughout the body and exchanges oxygen for carbon dioxide while feeding cells nutrients in the blood.
- What is the Circulatory System? pp 118-119
- The function of this system is to get rid of cabon dioxide. Also, the lungs help in putting oxygen back in the blood in the Alveoli at end of the bronchioles.
- What is the Respiratory System? p166-167
- This system collects fluid from blood that leaks into body tissues daily (up to 3 qts.) and returns it to the circulatory system. This fluid contains special white blood cells (Lymphocites) which fight disease.
- What is the Lymphatic System? pp. 166-267
You must Login or Register to add cards