Glossary of Bio 30 BRHS AL
Other Decks By This User
- Mendel's Principle of Dominance
- Principle of Dominance - when 2 forms of same gene are present, the dominant allele is expressed
- What is Pleiotropy?
- one gene affects more than one phenotype
- In a test cross with what genotype do you cross the unknown:
- c. ww
in order to determine a missing genotype ALWAYS cross with a homozygous recessive
- What is Epistatis?? Give an example.
- one gene masks the expression of another gene
- 3 phenotypes rather than 4
ex. mammal coat color
- What is an example of a phenotype?
c. chicken comb
- d. phenotype is how you LOOK
- Affected males (sex-linked) pass the gene to ________ of their daughters and _______ of their sons.
- a. because males have only 1 X chromosome they MUST pass it on to all of his daughters, his sons get his y, which is not traced to sex-linked infections.
- What are the 3 primary patterns of inheritance?
- 1) autosomal recessive
2) autosomal dominant
3) sex-linked (X-chromosomal)
- _______ allele(s) make up ________ gene(s). (give amount)
- 2, 1
- In Dan's family, dumbo ears are dominant. What would be the resulting genotypes and phenotypes of the following cross:
Woman whose ears are heterozygous crossed with a man whose ears are homozygous Dominant
what is the resulting ratio homo:hete
- all dumbo ears
- Mendel's Principle of Segregation
- Principle of Segregation - in meiosis, 2 alleles separate so that each gamete receives only one form of the gene
- crossover frequency equation
- # if recombinants/total # of offspring x 100
- The **farther/less** apart genes are, the **greater/smaller** the probability that crossing over will occur between them
- Complete linkage is common.
True or False
- False, Complete Linkage is RARE
- what are recombinants??
- offspring that result whose parents' phenotypes are both different and also different from the offspring in question
- Mendel's Principle of Independent Assortment
- Principle of Independent Assortment - each trait is inherited independent of other traits (chance)