Glossary of Bible cards
Other Decks By This User
- A figurative mode of representation conveying a meaning other than the literal. ex: Genesis creation (seven literal days? not necessarily the point of the story: point is to show human relationships with God)
- Name used for Babylon, story of people and tower, balal means "to confuse or confound"
- Documentary Hypothesis
- Different texts have different authors, one can see difference coming from the same thing, "quilt"
- Story that attempts to explain something. ex: tower of babel and why everyone speaks different languages
- Epic of Gilgamesh
- Story is very similar to Genesis: similarities [family/animals, landed on mountain, sent dove on SEVENTH day and nothing, then swallow and nothing, then raven and something!] differences: [polytheistic and no reason for flood]. Oldest known literature, from Middle east but then beyond, on clay tablets, legend of one of the kings of Babylon
- Ex nihilo
- "Out of nothing"--creation from nothing.
- Felix Culpa
- "happy fault" or "fortunate fall." Original sin. because of sin Jesus came and hope of heaven
- First book of the Tanakh, Torah, and Christian Bible
- Branch of Christian study concerning sin and original sin.
- Priestly Source
- First creation account in Genesis, organized and ordered, very OCD and precise
- Of or relating to the earliest ages--humans and/or world
- Not the same as Priestly source, second creation account in Genesis, LOTS of anthropomorphism, more about the metaphorical meaning rather than the literal, "the LORD"
You must Login or Register to add cards