Glossary of Bible- Gospel of John
Other Decks By This User
- What are the synoptic Gospels, and why are they called the synoptic Gospels?
- Matthew, Mark, and Luke
They are called the synoptic gospels because they have overlapping stories
- How does John differ from the synoptic Gospels?
- John contains different stories
- How long has John had the title 'John'?
- since 125 C.E.
- How many books describe the book of John with the title 'John'?
- 2 closely related documents and 2 historical books.
- Outside of the Bible what evidence can be found that John wrote the book of John?
- Church of John declared his authorship as early as 155 C.E.
- What were some of the fathers of the Church of John and how was the information that John was the author passed down?
- John told Polycarp who told Irehaeus, who told Eusebius who wrote it down
- how does the Muratorian Canon support Johns authorship, and what is the Muratorian Canon?
- The Muratorian Canon is the first Canon of the NT. This canon implies that John would write the Gospel because Andrew had a vision he would
- What are the internal evidences that John was the author?
- The author was a Jew, who was Palestinian because the author knew the Palestinian topography, the author was an eyewitness, an apostle, and therefore you can narrow it down that he was John.
- how do we know he was an eyewitness
- The author uses the historical present verb in Greek, writing it because he was there
- How many apostles are mentioned in John?
- All of the apostles except for John, there is a beloved disciple, and John was closer to Jesus than any of the apostles.
- Who was John's Mother?
- John's mother was Salome
- Who was John's brother? was John the older or younger brother?
- John's brother was James and John was the younger brother.
- Was John's family rich?
- John's family provided for Jesus and had hired servants indictating he was probably wealthy
- What are some arguments for a late writing of John?
- the Church fathers hold to this date, referenced the Jews as the enemy of Jesus...
- Where was John going?
You must Login or Register to add cards