Glossary of Basic Information Chapters 1-9
Other Decks By This User
- Who is the "Father of Medicine"?
- Who theorized that disease was caused by germs?
- Louis Pasteur
- What is microbiology?
- the study of very small life
- Name the famous nurse who served during the Crimean War.
- Florence Nightingale
- Name the first woman awarded and MD degree in the US.
- Elizabeth Blackwell
- Who produced the polio vaccine?
- Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin
- Who invented penicillin?
- Sir Alexander Fleming, the British bacteriologist
- What two languages form the basis for medical terminology?
- Latin and Greek
- Name two types of coding systems used today.
- ICD and CPT
- What does POMR stand for...
- Problem-Oriented Medical Record
- Name four parts of the POMR.
- Database, problem list, plan and progress notes
- SOAP format for progress notes....What does it stand for?
- Subjective, Objective, Analysis and Plan
- Drug names are written in one of three ways...name them.
- Chemical name
- Who invented the microscope?
- Anton van Leeuwenhoek
- Name the 5 Levels of Organization.
- What is cytology?
- Study of cells
- What is Histology?
- Microscopic study of tissues
- Name 4 types of tissue.
- Internal organs of the body are called.....
- Name the reference point in medical communication.
- Anatomical position
- Name 3 types of directional planes.
- What is Radiology?
- Study of X-Rays
- What is Sonography?
- Ultrasound imaging
- What is Fluoroscopy?
- Imaging technique that uses a cathode ray tube to allow an observer to view a moving image.
- What does MRI stand for...
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- What does CT stand for....
- Computed Tomography
- What is the moist, white, cheeselike substance on newborns called?
- Vernix Caseosa
- What is the fine, downy hair on a newborn called?
- What is Hirsutism?
- abnormal growth of hair
- What determines the amount of a burn injury?
- Rule of Nines
- Three types of Muscle tissue.
- Skeletal, Smooth and Cardiac
- What is the state of equilibrium among the body systems?
- What is Hematology?
- Study of blood and its components
- What does CBC stand for?
- Complete Blood Count
- Blood and bone marrow contains three main types of blood cells...What are they?
- Erythrocytes, Leukocytes and Thrombocytes
- The molecule formed when oxygen and hemoglobin meet is what?
- Clump together
- Production of red blood cells
- Name the three types of granulocytes.
- Neutrophils, Eosinophils and Basophils
- What are small cells that form in the bone marrow called?
- Enlarged liver
- Enlarged spleen
- What is abnormally low levels of hemoglobin produced by sickle-shaped RBCs called?
- Sickle cell anemia
- What is epistaxis?
- What is pernicious anemia?
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- What is Thrombosis?
- Condition of increased clotting
- What is Hypochromia?
- too little hemoglobin
- What is Microcyte?
- small RBC
- What is Macrocyte?
- large RBC
- irregularly shaped cell
- What is anticoagulant?
- Prevents blood from clotting
- What is antifibrinolytic?
- Prevents the breakdown of a clot