Glossary of Basic Formula
Other Decks By This User
- What are the eight methods for herbal formula preparation?
- There are 10 types of formulas, name them.
- 1)Disseminate, clogging
6) Weigh down, anxiety
7)Bind, abandoned disorders
8)Lubricate, sticky retention in the body
9) Dry, dampness
- 1 laing =
- 1 Qian =
- 1 Fen=
- The ____ ingredient is directed against and has the greatest effect on the principle pattern of the disease and is indispensable to the formula.
- The ____ aids the main ingredient(s) of a formula and is directed at a CO-EXISTING PATTERN.
- The ____ reinforces the effect of the main ingredients and treats the LESS IMPORTANT ASPECTS of the pattern and modifies or eliminates TOXICITY of main ingredients
- The ____ focuses the effect to a specific organ or channel, harmonizes the action of the other ingredients in the formula.
- Modification of dosage by age:
a. _____ 1-6 years of age
b. _____ 6-12
c. _____ 12-adult
- a. 1/3 dose
b. 1/2 dose
c. adult dose
- There are 3 types of modification of formula. Name them and give an example.
- 1)Dosage: Si Ni San(Yang Def with internal cold), the dosage of Fu Zi is doubled and the resulting formula is Tong Mai Si Ni San (Yang separating from Yin)
a. chief ing. same modify some ingredients for fine tuning
b. chef ing. the same change most of the ingred.
c. change 1 ing and the entire action of the formula changes
3) form: pill to decoction for acute conditions
- The normal method of decoction is to cook over high flame 20-30 min.
- Aromatic substances should be decocted at the end of the cooking process.
add at the at 10-15 min
- Rich tonics should be cooked over high flame for a short period.
rich tonics should be cooked for longer period (45-60 min) over low flame
- Toxic substances should be added late.
toxic substances (Fu Zi)should be decocted first (45min) prior to adding other substances
- In general formulas should be taken
a. before meals
b. after meals
d. with plenty of water
d. on an empty stomach
- a. before meals
- Rich greasy tonics should be:
a. taken on an empty stomach
d. taken after meals
c. taken before bed
e. taken any time
- a. taken on an empty stomach
- When using Formulas That Release the Exterior there are several conditions that should be considered.
Which statement is NOT true.
a. These formulas can be administered at anytime
b. You must have an accurate diagnosis.
c. You should
- a. These formula can be administered at anytime
- (Formula)_______ treats external excess type of wind-cold.
NO SWEAT, aversion to cold, alternating fever and chills, body ache, headache
Tai Yang stage
P: floating, tight
T: thin white coat
Ma Huang, GuiZhi
Xing Ren, Zhi Ga
- Ma Huang Tang
- If there are pronounced body aches due to damp-cold you add _______to Ma Huang Tang to create Ma Huang Jia Zhu Ru Tang (Ephedra and Atractylodis)
- Bai Zhu
- Which herbs would you add to Ma Huang Tang if the S&S included SEVERE FEVER and CHILLS with INTERNAL HEAT?
The resulting formula is Da Qing Long Tang (Minor Bluegreen Dragon)
- Shi Gao
- (Formula) ______ is used to treat Deficienfy type of wind-cold external invasion. S&S include SWEATING,
- Gui Zhi Tang (Cinnamon Twig Dec.)
Gui Zhi, Shao Yao
Sheng Jiang, Da Zao
Zhi Gan Cao
- Expalin the relationship between the pairs in Gui Zhi Tang (Cinnamon Twig Dec.)
1)Gui Zhi, Shao Yao
2)Sheng Jiang, Da Zao
- 1)Gui Zhi + Shao Yao= regulate the Nutrative and Protective Qi stop sweating
2)Sheng Jiang + Da Zao= Harmonize the middle jiao
- If you have a patient with deficiency wind-cold and your choice of formula is Gui Zhi Tang, however the patient also has a stiff neck, how would you modify the formula?
- Add Ge Gen
resulting formula is Gui Zhi Jia Ge Gen Tang (Cinnamon Twig and Kudzu)
Gui Zhi, Shao Yao
Sheng Jiang, Da Zao
Ge Gen, Zhi Gan Cao
- You have a patient with exterior wind-cold symptoms plus a cough with COPIOUS STICKY WHITE sputum that is DIFFICULT TO EXPECTORATE due to deficiency of the Lung and Spleen. The best formula would be.
- Xiao Qing Long Tang (Minor Bluegreen Dragon)
Ma Huang, Gui Zhi
Wu Wei Zhi, Bai Shao
Gan Jiang, Ban Xia
Xi Xin, Zhi Gan Cao
- You have a patient with excess wind-cold symptoms and the additional signs are BLOATING, and NO sweatng, due to Exterior Wind-Cold with Qi constraint.
The best formula is?
- Xiang Su San (Cyperus and Perilla Leaf)
Zi Su Ye, Xiang Fu
Chen Pi, Zhi Gan Cao
- For patients with external Wind-Cold with internal dampness(excess) during the Summer, S&S include big thirst, heavy sensation headache, no sweating,hot skin, nausea/vomiting
T: white greasy coating
Which formula might you
- Xaing Ru San (Elshotzia Powder)
Bai Bian Dou
You must Login or Register to add cards