Glossary of Basic Anatomy Vocab
Other Decks By This User
- Superior (cranial or cephalad)
- Toward the head end or upper part of a structure or the body; upper. (EX: The forehead is superior to the nose)
- Inferior (caudal)
- Away from the head end or toward the lower part of a structure or the body; below (EX: The naval in inferior to the breastbone)
- Anterior (Ventral)
- Toward or at the front of the body, in front of. (EX: The breastbone is anterior is anterior to the spine)
- Posterior (Dorsal)
- Toward or at the backside of the body; behind (EX: The heart is posterior to the breastbone)
- Toward or at the midline of the body; on the inner side of. (EX: The heart is medial to the arm)
- Away from the midline of the body; on the outer side of (EX: The arms are lateral to the chest)
- Between a more medial and a more lateral structure. (EX: The armpit is lateral intermediate between the breastbone and shoulder)
- Close to the origin of the body part or point of attachment of that limb (EX: The elbow is proximal to the wrist)
- Farther from the origin of the body part or point of attachment of that limb (EX: The knee is distal to the thigh)
- Toward or at the body surface (EX: The skin is superficial to the skeleton)
- Away from the body surface; more internal (EX: The lungs are deep to the rib cage)
- Median (midsagittal)
- A cut through the center of an object looking at it head on.
- Frontal (coronal)
- A cut through the center of an object from a profile view.
- Tranverse plane
- A cut through the the body, covering the least flesh.
- Dorsal body cavity
- The back portion of the body. Consisting of the cranial cavity and the spinal cavity.
- Ventral cavity
- The frontal cavity of the body, consisting the thoracic cavity and the Abdominopelvic cavity.
You must Login or Register to add cards