Glossary of Background of Antigone
Other Decks By This User
- Area at the base of the theater was called?
-Place where the chorus changed and danced and actors performed.
-No raised stage like Romans
- How where the voices of actors amplified?
- By wearing large masks.
- What did the actors wore?
- Oversized, well-padded costumes and boots with raised soles.
- Behind the orchestra was a painted wall called?
- Hence scenery.
- actors enetered and exited there.
- What were the theaters built on?
- Hillsides with inward slope
-Semicircle or ampitheater
-Seats of Earth, stone, or wood in rows.
- Sophocles first competed at what age and in what category?
- 27. Tragedy category.
- Who did he defeat?
- The famous Aeschylus.
- When and where was he born?
- (496- 406 B.C.)
- What kind of family and education did he have?
- Wealthy family.
- His traditional education was of music, dance, gymnastics.
- Describe how he was and what was he skilled at?
- He was graceful and handsome.
Skilled at music and drama.
- How was he active in public life?
- -He was general twice.
- How many tragedies did he wrote and how many remain today?
- -He wrote over 120 tragedies but only 7 remain.
- What was he great at understanding?
- -Human grief and suffering.
- What were plays written for?
What was in the orchestra?
- -For performance at festivals to honor the God Dionysis.
- What were the festivals like?
- -Festivals lasted over many days.
-Competitions were held for prizes and awards.
- Where and what time of day was Antigone performed?
- -Presented in stadium theater in daylight.
- Describe the chorus.
(how may men,spokesman, and their job?)
- -15 men.
-One spokesman(leader) called the Choragos.
-Chorus reacted to events and interpreted meaning in chanted poems or odes.
- Why were Greeks serious about theater?
- -Because it was like a religious ritual.
- Who acted in the plays?
- Only men actors.
- Actors and chanting chorus were like a what?
- -Like a stately Ritual.
- Mythical story of what?
- -Of the ill fated, Royal house of Thebes.
- What were the 3 plays based on this tragedy?
- -Oedipus the king
-Oedipus at Colonius
- Laios and
- -Laios was the grandson of Thebes founder
-King and father of Oedipus
-His Queen and mother of Oedipus
- What did Oracle proclaim about Laios?
- -That he will be slain by his son.
- What does Laios decide to do about the proclamation?
- -He binds the feet of his son and leaves him on a mountain?
- Who finds him and what does he name him?
- -Found by shepherds of King Polybus of Corinth and he adopts him and names him Oedipus.
-Raised by Polybus as his son/heir.
- What does Oedipus mean?
- -Swollen foot.
- What does Oracle tell Oedipus?
- -That he will kill his father and marry his mother.
- What does he decide to do about that?
- -Attempts to avoid his fate and leaves Corinth.
- Who does he meet and what does he do to him?
- He meets a stranger (father) and argues with him and kills him.
- What appears at Thebes?
- -A sphinx.
-It is a winged monster with the body of a lion and the face of woman.
- What does Sphinx do to travelers?
- -Travelers who can't answer the riddle are thrown to the sea.
- Who answers the riddle?
- -Oedipus answers the riddle and is welcomed as a savior by the Theban people.
- Who does he become and who does he marry?
- -He becomes king and they give him his mother for a wife.
- How many children do they have?
- -They have 4 children.
-2 girls, Antigone and Ismene.
-2 boys, Eteocles and Polyneices.
- What strikes the city?
- Who does Oedipus send to talk to the Oracle regarding the cause of the plague?
- -He sends his mother's brother, Creon.
- What does the Oracle say?
- -He says that the reason there is a plague is because Thebe is unclean because Laios' murder lives there.
- What does Oedipus decide to do?
- -Oedipus promises to find the murderer.
- Who is Teiresias and what does he tell Oedipus?
- -He is a prophet and he advises him against finding himself. Oedipus finds the truth.
- What does Iocaste do when she finds out that she married her son?
- -She commits suicide.
- What does Oedipus do and what does he ask?
- -He blinds himself and asks to be exiled.
- What does Creon say to this?
- -He says that he must stay until the Gods' wills are revealed.
- What does Creon and the Elders do?
What do his sons do?
- -They exile Oedipus.
-His sons do nothing to help him stay.
- What does Oedipus do after the exiled?
- -He wanders as a beggar with his daughters.
- Where does he die and what happens to his daughters?
- -He dies in Colonius and his daughters return to Thebes.
- Who rules after Oedipus dies?
- -Creon rules until Oedipus' sons want the throne.
- Who does Creon choose?
- -He chooses Eteocles and Polyneices is exiled.
- What does Polyneices do about this?
- -He storms Thebes with argives troops and the brothers kill each other.
- Who does Creon burry?
Who does Antigone burry?
- -He buries Eteocles but not Polyneices.
-Polyneices without the consent of Creon.
You must Login or Register to add cards