Glossary of Art History 1 S12: Gothic
Other Decks By This User
- A Cruciform church plan is a plan that is in the shape of a __.
- Define Triptych.
- 3-panel artwork
- Hildegard Von Bingen is thought to have written more than __ books in Latin and __ Chants at a time when women were rarely literate.
- 9, and 70
- Draw a Romanesque Portal sculpture and label 5 parts.
- 1-trumeau 2-lintel 3-tympanum 4-jambs 5-archivolts
- What is the difference between St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist? Were they or were they not the same person?
- No, St. John the Evangelist wrote the gospel according to St. John. St. John the Baptist was the cousin of Jesus and his head was served on a platter
- Who led the building of the Tower of Babel?
- What is the difference between contrapposto and the "Gothic Sway"?
- contrapposto-The David
Gothic Sway-Virgin's child
- The author compares the race to build larger and more grand cathedrals to another place and time:
- to the skyscrapers in New York-the race to build the tallest building in the world
- Abbot __ (1081-1151)was the Benedictine Abbott of St. Denis, the church where Charlemagne and a whole line of French kings were crowned.
- The people of the Gothic period did not call themselves Gothic. To describe the new and revolutionary artwork around them, they used teh following two terms:
- 1-Modern Style 2-French Style
- The most obvious characteristic of International Gothic is its soaring, light-filled interiors. Chruches were not the only building trhat used the style. The style was also adapted to include what 3 things?
- 1-public building like townhalls/courthouses
- The rise of the cathedral occurs in teh same period as teh rise of the European University, which included four major European schools?
- 1-Paris 2-Cambridge 3-Oxford 4-Bologna
- The Thirteenth century saw the rise of Scholastic philosophy which broaght together __ and __ under the renewed influence of __.
- faith, reason, Aristotle
- The patron saint of Frnace is St. __.
- One main goal Abbott Suger's innovation was to bring into the church a __ light.
- Chartres Cathedral stained glass artwork "The Tree of Jesse" is intended to demonstrate exactly what?
- the lineage of Jesus
- At Reims cathedral, the west portal tympanum scultures were replaced with __ __ __.
- stain glass windows
- Compare the Annunciation and Visitation west facade portal sculptures from Reims.
- Annunciation-stiff, geometric, expressionless
Visitation-the gothic sway, naturalistic,can see some body thru cloth.
- The reliquary on page 269 of the Virgin and Child is said to contain what particular relic?
- hairs from Mary's head
- Major European Cathedral building was brought to a halt by widespread __.
- True or False: Elaborately embroidered priest's robes became so heavy tha tpriests sometimes had to have help to move.
- Describe the distinguishing characteristic of the Germanic Hall Church.
- The arcade ceiling is part of the nave ceiling, in the French version the ceiling is split into 3 parts
The term for this figure is...
- Chartes is unique among Gothic buildings. Why?
- It has almost all of it original stainglass
- Describe the distinquishing characteristic of the Germanic Hall Church.
The nave and arcade share the same ceiling
You must Login or Register to add cards