Glossary of Art History 1 S07: Early Christian
Other Decks By This User
- True or False: Constantine was the first Christian Roman Emperor because he converted on his dathbed and his son julian became a devotee of Mithrianism.
- Early Christianity has two amin divisions, eastern and western. Name them.
- 1-Eastern, Greek Orthodox
2-Western, Roman Catholic
- Early Christian art displays two main centers of focus. Describe them.
- One main distinction between Judeo-Christian art and Muslim art is the use of images of creature prohibited by the __. Muslims draw this line by prohibiting images of anything with a __.
- 1st commandment, face
- The Ark of the Covenant contained the tablets of the Ten Commandments given to __ on Mt. __ and was guarded by __.
- Mose, Sinai, cherubim
- The Jews were captive in Babylon until released by the __.
- In Mithrianism, Mithras is born of a __.
- Explain the Mithrian creation story.
- The world is created from the blood of the bull Tauroctany slain by a god named Mithra.
- A __ is an underground burial chamber.
- A __ can be any large room where the Torah is kept and read publicly.
- Name the three Cycles of the Iconography of the life of Jesus.
- 1-The Incarnation Cycle and the Childhood of Jesus
2-The Public Ministry Cycle
3-The Passion Cycle
- What is the difference between a church and a cathedral?
- Every town only has one cathedral, which is where the bishop resides, all others are churches.
- Constantinople and the Byzantine Empire was conquered by the Ottoman Turks in __.
- Name the six parts of the Basilica plan church.
- apse, transept, aisle, nave, narthex, atrium
- Christian Typology is the process of connecting persons in the old testament with ones in the new. Cite two example of Christian typology.
- 1-Abrahams willingness to sacrifice Isaac||to God sacrificing Jesus
2-Noah's flood ||baptism
- Czar is a contraction of the term __.
- Russian rulers of the 15th century declared __ to be the third Rome.
- Bysantine artistic conventions:
- 1-elongated figures
2-flattened space; space between picture and you
- Early Christian images used three basic forms to describe Jesus. What are they?
- 1-Jesus as a young man/good shepherd
2-Jesus as philosopher/raised hand
3-Jesus as pantocrater/ruler of the universe
- Paul was a Jewish Lawyer sent to Damascus to prosecute Christians. On the way there he was struck __ and then converted to become one of the main intellectual supporters of early Christianity.
- One difference between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox Christianity is that the Roman version was headed by a __ who was considered a religious leader, while the eastern version was headed by a __ who was considered a political as well as religiou
- pope, patriach
- Name the customary symbol for the following four evangelists: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
- Matthew-man, Mark-lion, Luke-ox, John-eagle
- The famous emperor at the height of the Byzantine empire was __. He was the ruler who built the Hagia Sophia.
- Iconoclasm is the practice of __ images. Waves of iconoclastic activity account for the fact that very few early Christian images survive to the present time.
You must Login or Register to add cards