Glossary of Army History 2
Other Decks By This User
- What date was the Army flag dedicated?
- 14 June 1956 (it was approved 12 June 1956)
- What is the oldest part of our Army?
- The Army National Guard (In December 1636, the Massachusetts Bay Colony organized America’s first militia regiments, some of which still serve today in the Army National Guard.)
- What did the U.S. Army begin?
- June 14, 1775
- Who was the first commander in Chief of the Continental Army?
- George Washington
- When was the start of the Revolutionary War?
- 19 April, 1775
- When was the Declaration of Independence signed?
- July 04, 1776
- The Army received it’s first real training from what former Prussian Officer at Valley Forge in the winter of 1778?
- Baron Fredreich von Steuben
- What did Baron Fredriech von Steuben teach the Continental Army at Valley Forge?
- He taught the Continental Army:
* A simplified but effective version of the drill formations and movements of European armies.
* Proper care of equipment.
* The use of the bayonet (a weapon in which British superiority had previously been marked).
* He impressed upon officers their responsibility for taking care of the soldiers.
* Taught NCOs how to train and lead those soldiers.
- On what date did the Revolutionary War officially end with a signing of a peace treaty in Paris?
- 03 September 1783
- What is the name of the document that originally governed the United States and was later replaced by the “Constitution”?
- The Articles of Confederation
- The nation nearly doubled in 1803 when it purchased a huge expanse of territory from France in what became known as what?
- The Louisiana Purchase
- Who was one of the most prolific writers of the early 19th century and would be the author of “The Army Regulations of 1821”, the first written regulation by the Army since the publication of Baron von Steubens “Blue Book”?
- General Winfield Scott
- What were some of the areas covered in “The Army Regulations of 1821”.
- * The Hand Salute
* How to conduct a march
* How to make a good stew for the company
- What is the bloodiest war in American history?
- The Civil War with the death of over 600,000 Americans on both sides.
- When and where did the Civil War actually begin?
- The Civil War being in April of 1861 when South Carolina militia forces fired on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor.
You must Login or Register to add cards