Glossary of Ancient History terms
Other Decks By This User
- rule of a king
- no rule/ gov
- rule of the best (wealth)
- rule of the few
- rule of a tyranny, one absolute ruler
- rule of the people
- dual kings/ diarchy
- rule of two kings
- spartan slaves
- a subject class of free men without political rights who were mainly tradesman and merchants live outside of the city (Sparta)
- a governing class of rulers and soliders who decsended from the Dorians (Sparta)
- the single legislator of sparta
- The Spartan magistrate. There were 5 ephors, any Spartan over 30 was eligible. Supervised public morals and the kings. (Sparta)
- The council of elders. Members were from the noble class and over 60. There were 28 members. Prepared motions for the approval of the assembly. (Sparta)
- The assembly. All spartans over 30. Elected Gerousia nad Ephors by cheering. Voted on issues presented by Gerousia
- the secret police, to stop helot reform
- he assembly, all male citizen over 18. Supervised food supply to city, voted on important issues relating to the running of Athens
- Council of 500. 50 from each of the ten tribe Athenian citizens came from. Presented the agenda of the meetings to the assembly .(Athens)
- Most important magistrates in Athens. Must be at least 30 years old & a land owner. Eponymous archon, supervised running of rel festivals, basileus or king archon presided over legal matters related to disrespecting the gods. Polemarch was in charge of legal matters involving foreign residents. Remaining 6 thesmothetai drew up court calendar and assigned the courts to the magistrates (Athens)
- Generals. There were ten generals who were in charge of the Athenian army and navy. THis was the highest military office, (Athens)
- Council of Areopagus
- All ex-archons had life long membership to the council. A court that decided on cases of premeditated murder.
- Archon in 594 BC. Established foundations of democracy in Athens. He created the boule and heliaea, made the ekklesia open to all citizens.
- Tryant (545-510 bc). He was an aristocrat. Made three attempts of tryanny, third he succeeded, 545. He made loans avaliable on easy terms to farmers, confiscated large estates and divided among poor and landless.
- (565-500 bc). Was an archon, later went into exil. Return and fought for power and won. He tried to break the power of the four tribal clans. Replaced them with tne new ones. He introduced ostracism
- Each citizen in the assembly was able to write on a piece of pottery the name of any mane he wished to see banished. The man with the most names was banished.
You must Login or Register to add cards