Glossary of Anatomy 7-11
Created by Careasa
- What are the functions of the respiratory system?
- 1. Oxygen-Carbon dioxide exchange via inspiration and expiration
2. Maintaining proper acid base balance in the blood
3. Speech production
- List 9 glands that are part of the endocrine system.
- 1. Hypothalamus
8. Part of pancreas
9. Parts of ovaries/testes
- What is the function of the hormone vasopressin?
- Increases the amount of fluid the kidneys absorb.
- What are the 3 functions of the thymus gland?
- 1. Secretes thymosin and thymin.
2. Achieves differentiation of lymphocytes into different classes of T-cells & maintains a supply of them
3. Produces various factors & hormones which regulate lymphocyte production & differentiation activities.
- The uterus is divided into 3 main parts. What are they?
- 1. The body
2. The cervix
3. The fundus
- What is the function of the female reproductive system?
- Produce ovum and offspring
- Name the 4 system parts of the urinary
- 1. Kidneys
- What is the function of the male reproductive system?
- Produce sperm and fertilize the ovum
- Name one way that having a parasite will affect the body
- Stealing the nutrients from our food.
Many people become anemic or weak/fatigued as a result.
- What is the function of the neurological system?
- Relay information in the form of nerve impulses throughout the body, thereby controlling all of its functions
- The neurological system has two main divisions. What are they?
- 1. The central
2. The peripheral
- Explain how parasympathetic stimulation affects the body.
- By returning the body to a state of rest and repair.
- What is the respiratory defense?
- 1. Hair
2. Mucous membrane
- Where are the kidneys positioned?
- Against the posterior abdominal wall
- Nerves that run to and from the central nervous system are known as?
- Afferent nerves or sensory nerves
- The receiving end of a nerve cell is called?
- A dendrite
- the gap between the receiving end of one nerve cell and the sending end of another nerve cell is called?
- A synapse
- The autonomic nervous system is divided into 2 separate parts. What are they?
- 1. The sympathetic
2. The parasympathetic
- Describe a person who is vagatonic
- Someone who has a stronger parasympathetic nervous system and holds balance in the body. Placid disposition, good digestion, not easily disturbed.
- Describe a person who is sympathetic in nature
- Someone who has a stronger sympathetic nervous system.
More emotional, less stable and their digestion is more readily disturbed.
- What are the principal organs of the respiratory system?
- What are the 2 functions of the kidneys?
- 1. Separate certain waste products from the blood.
2. Help maintain the blood at a constant level of composition
- Describe the urethra and its functions
- Narrow muscular tube passing from bladder to exterior of body
1. Passage for urine from bladder to exterior of the body
2. Passage for sperm from ejaculatory duct to exterior of the body
You must Login or Register to add cards