Glossary of American history to 1800
Other Decks By This User
- Thomas Jefferson's "Revolution of 1800" was remarkable in that:
- It marked the peaceful and orderly transfer of power on the basis of election results accepted by all parties.
- The Battle of Saratoga was a key victory for the Americans because:
- It brought the colonists much-needed aid and a formal alliance with France.
- The summoning of Virginia's House of Burgesses marked an important precedent because:
- It was the first of many miniature paliaments to convene in America.
- One of the main factors that enabled Europeans to conquer native North Americans with relative ease was:
- The absence of dense concentrations of population or conplex nation-states in North America.
- The First Continental Congress was called in order to:
- consider ways of redressing colonial grievances.
- Alexander Hamilton's proposed Bank of the United States was:
- Based on the "necessary and proper", or "elastic" clause in the Constitution.
- The long-range purpose of the Albany Congress in 1754 was to:
- achieve colonial unity and common defense against the French threat.
- Thomas Paine argued that all government officials:
- should derive their authority from public consent.
- King Phillip's War resulted in:
- the lasting defeat of New England's Indians.
- The Indians suffered from their association with the French in New France in all of the following ways:
- Decimation of their numbers from the white man's disease.
Violation of their religious beliefs.
Debauchery by the white man's alcohol.
- The climactic clash between Britain and France for control of the North American continent sprang from their rivalry for control of:
- Cape Breton Island
- One of George Washington's major contributions as president was:
- Keeping the nation out of foreign wars.
- The delegates of the Hartford Convention adopted resolutions that included a call for:
- A Constitutional amendment requiring a two-thirds vote in Congress before war was declared.
- Which of the following pairs of items are not directly related to eachother?
implied powers-"necessary and proper clause"
strict construction-Tenth amendment
loose construction-"elastic" clause
- strict construction-Tenth amendment
- When the British Parliament passed the Molasses Act in 1733, it intended the act to:
- Inhibit colonial trade with the French West Indies.
- John Marshall uttered his famous legal dictum that "the power to tax involves the power to destroy" in what case?
- McCulloch v. Maryland
- Some of the most advanced Native American cultures did all of the following except:
engage in significant voyages of discovery
establish large bustling cities
make strikingly accurate astronomical observations
- engage in significant voyages of discovery
- The guarantee that English settlers in the New World would retain the "rights of an Englishman" proved to be:
- The foundation for American liberties.
- All of the following were weaknesses of the British military during the War for Independence except:
soldiers who were incapable of fighting effectively
the need to keep many soldiers in Europe in case of trouble
- soldiers who were incapable of fighting effectively
- The most important economic enterprise in the American colonies was:
You must Login or Register to add cards