Glossary of American History 1825-1861 Honors240
Other Decks By This User
- 1. The Whig Party was made up of former Federalists and former Republicans who
- advocates of national support for economic development
- 8. Removing officeholders of the rival political party and replacing them with members of your own party is called the
- spoils system
- 37. Who was the most famous and controversial white abolitionist?
- william Lloyd Garrison
- 1. The 1840s and 1850s in the United States were characterized by all the following
- quality of life raised; spectators of entertainment??
- 2. Which of the following statements best captures the attitude of antebellum Americans about technology
- force for positive change; God's choice for man; force for democratic movement; make up labor shortage
- 13. An urban middle-class home in the 1850s would probably have
- french furniture,mirror, waterworls,stoves,fresh vegetable,
- 1. Compared with the North, the Old South had a higher
- murder rate; more rural places
- 5. One of the ways in which the North and the South were different was
- all of above question
- 9. What was the largest group of southern whites in the antebellum period
- neo--farmers (jefferson's ideal society)
- slave uprising
- three major ones in the South. one of them resulted in whites killed
- 19. One of the few groups in the Old South to speak against the dueling, brawling, and drinking of southern society was
- Potestant evangelical Churches
- 39. Southern evangelical churches generally preached against all of the following activities except
- 42. What were the most interracial institutions in the Old South?
- 2. The main reason most European immigrants came to the United States between 1815 and 1860 was
- economic advancement
- 4. Where did German and Irish immigrants tend to settle in the United States?
- urban cities
- 10. The fate of the Donner party best illustrates
- harzard of pioneers
- 13. Presidios were
- forts constructed by Spanio in southwest
- 24. The Senate rejected the treaty annexing Texas drawn up by Secretary of State Calhoun because
- it allows slavery
- 32. In the United States, opposition to the Mexican-American War included all of the following reasons except that _
- U.S. was not capable to beat them
- 46. Why did Mormons undertake a trek to Deseret?
- not a nice place
- 3. The issues behind the Compromise of 1850 included all of the following except
- the scott case
- 5. What was the cornerstone of the southern defense of slavery?
- constitution state right
- the Lecompton constituion
- kensas slavery
You must Login or Register to add cards