Glossary of Allied Health Chapter 1
Other Decks By This User
Name 4 types.
Name Classifications based on funding.
- general, specialty, government, university. Private, religious, non-profit, govt.
- What do Long term care facilities do?
- Care for elderly, and provide living areas (apts.)
- What do Nursing homes provide? Name 4
- Used for emotional/physical care, ADL's, secure environment, social interaction.
- What do Extended care facilties do? Name 3 services they provide
- For short term stay, patients will be discharged. rehabilitative care, preparation for returing home, sub-acute units.
- What does Independant living/assisted living do? Name 5 services they provide
- Rent or purchase apartments in a facility for those who can take care of themselves, but may need immediate help. meals, housekeeping, transportation, social events, basic medical care
- What are Medical offices? What 2 types are there? Name 5 services they provide.
- facilities privatley owned by physicians. Diagnostic, treatment, exams, lab tests, minor surgery.
- Name 3 types of Dental offices
- private office/dental clinics, retail/departments stores, general/specialty.
- What are clinics? Name 5 types.
- group of medical/dental doctors that share a facility and personnel. corporate/private, hospital operated clinics/outpatient, health departments, college centers
- Explain Optical centers. What services do they provide. Name 3
- provide cision exams, prescribe glasses/lenses, check for disease
- What are Emergency care services? Name 5 types
- special care for accidents or sudden illness. Ambulance, rescue sqauds, emergency care clinics/centers, emergency rooms, helicopter
- What types of Laboratories are there? What do they do?
- medical labs - diagnostic tests, dental labs - prepare dentures and devices
- What is home health care? Name 4 things they provide
- provide care for patients in their home. Provide nursing care, personal care, therapy, and homemaking
- What is Hospice care? Name reasons for it.
- provide care for terminally ill people (only have 6 months to live). Die with dignity/comfort. Counsel patient/family
- What are mental health facilites? name 4 types.
- deal with mental diseases and disorders. guidance/counseling, psychiatric clinics, chemical abuse treatment centers, physical abuse.
- What are genetic counseling centers? Name 4 services
- give prenatal screening tests, check for birth defects, explain results, identify medical options
- What do rehabilitation facilities do?
- create maximum self-care and function
- What are HMOs? What do they do?
- Health maintenance orginizations. Preventive care.
- What are industrial health care centers?
- provide health care for employees in large industries or companies. Educate, exams, emergency care.
- What do school health services do?
- Chekc students general health, emergency care, performs tests
- Govt. health agenceiss... Name types and what they do.
- WHO - do statistics, publish health info, investigate world problems. USDHHS-deals w/ U.S. issues. NIH-research. CDC-cause, spread, control of disease. FDA-food, drug. OSHA-protect workers. AHCPR-collect data and statistics
- What are non-profits? Name 3 examples
- voluntary, take contributions, studies disease, provides funding, educates, provide treatment centers. American Red Cross, ACS, AHA
- What is the most popular health insurance plan?
- Blue cross blue shield
- What is a deductable?
- The individual must make a payment to insurance first before the insurance can start.
- what is co-insurance?
- Expenses share by individual and company. usually 80-20%
- what is co-payment
- specific amount of money patient pays for particular service
- What is HMO
- pay for membership, fee stays the same, for preventive care. Has to use HMO affiliated facilities
- What is PPO?
- health insurance plan provided by companiesto employees
- what is Medicare?
- funded by govt. For elderly older than 65. covers 80% of medical bills
- what is Medicaid?
- state medical assistance program. For welfare recipients and disabled.
- What is Workers Compensation?
- Provides treatment for workers injured on the job, administerd by employers, reimburss.
- What is managed care?
- all health care provided to patients must have a purpose
- What is an orginizational structure?
- encompasses line of authority, chain of command, and makes operations efficient. Important to know immediate advicers
- What is cost containment? Name types
- controls rising cost of health care and maximum benefit for each $ spent. DRGs, combination of services, outpatient services, early intervention, energy conservation.
- what are DRGs?
- certain diagnoses are separated into payment groups. Has expense limit, if exceeded than hospital has to pay out of pocket, otherwise they recieve money
- What is Home health care?
- provides shorter hospital stays and DRG's with care at home
- what is telemedicine?
- tech. way to recieve care in own home.
- what is wellness?
- state of optimum health physically, emotionally, and socially. focuses on prevention. weight control, nutrition, etc...
- what is alternative and complementary methods of health care?
- alternative ways to treat without biomedicine. Complimentary uses both biomedical and alternative medicines.
- what is the office of alternative medicine do?
- researches therapies and determines standards of quality of care
- What is national health care plan?
- nationalizes medicine using taxes
You must Login or Register to add cards