Glossary of Ag 412 Respiratory Drugs
Other Decks By This User
- When are bronchodilators used?
- when bronchi and/or bronchioles constrict
- What are bronchodilators used for?
congestive heart failure
- What are the bronchodilator drugs?
- How does Aminophylline work?
- inhibits the smooth muscle contraction
- When is Theophylline usually used?
- When there is a resistance to aminophylline
- Which bronchodilators are available in both oral and parenteral form?
- How does Albuterol work?
- opens up bronchial passages by blocking recptor sides of histamine
- Albuterol is available in what form?
**cats have a mask inhaler**
- What are anti-tussives used for?
- Cough (due to infectious disease)
- Anti-tussive contain either ______ or ________.
- codeine or opioids
- What are the anti-tussive drugs?
- Butorphanol (Torb)
Hydrocodone (Hycodan, Tussagon)
- Butorphanol is both a _______ and _______.
- analgesic and antitussive
- When used as an anti-tussive what type of cough is Butorpahnol used for?
- dry productive cough
- How does Hydrocodone work?
- reduces the cough which quiets the bronchial/tracheal inflammation
- What are the side effects of the anti-tussive drugs?
- How do anti-histamines work?
- blocks the effects of histamines
- What are histamines?
- chemicals released by tissues in response to inflammation
- What do histamines do?
- help heal the body
- When histamines are abundant what can they cause?
- systemic effects
>>asthma, allergies, anaphylactic shock
- What are the clinical uses of anti-histamines?
- >feline asthma
>prevent allergic reaction
- What are the anti-histamine drugs?
- >Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Hydroxazine (Atarax) is usually used for?
- allergic dermatitis in cats and dogs
You must Login or Register to add cards