Glossary of Ag 412 GI Drugs
Other Decks By This User
- Name an anti-ulcer drug?
- Cimetidine (Tagament)
- How does Cimetidine (Tagament) work?
- decreases secretion of hydrochloric acid by blocking activation of H2 receptors
- What are the clinical uses of Cimetidine (Tagament)?
- *prevent gastric & duodenal uclers
*Tx of esophagitis
*Animals who are/have been vomiting
*Chronic renal failure patients
- What are the other types of anti-ulcer drugs besides Cimetidine?
- Ranitidine (Zantac)
- Name an antidiarrheal drug?
- Diphenoxylate/Atropine (Lomotil)
- What action does Diphenoxylate/Atropine (Lomotil) have?
- increases segmental contractions which decrease the lumen resulting in slower passage of intestinal material
- Why is Atropine added to Diphenoxylate (Lomotil)?
- To prevent substance abuse
- What is the clinical use of Diphenoxylate/Atropine (Lomotil)?
- controls diarrhea
- What other drug can be used as an antidiarrheal but does not have atropine?
- Loperamide (Immodium)
- Which drug is commonly used in dogs for antidiarrheal affects? Cats?
- Dogs --> Diphenoxylate/Atropine (lomotil)
Cats --> Loperamide (Immodium)
- Name a laxative drug used for animals?
- Cisapride (Propulsid)
- What action does Cisapride (Propulsid) have?
- stimulates motility of the GI tract
- What are the clinical uses of Cisapride (Propulsid)?
- >Tx of constipation
>GI stasis in rabbits
- Name a antiemetic drug used in animals?
- Metaclopramide (Reglan)
- What action does Metaclopramide (Reglan) have?
- >Speeds gastric emptying
>Increases cardiac sphincter tone
>Blocks pathway to vomiting center in brain
- What are clinical uses of Metaclopramide (Reglan)?
- What are the side effects of Metaclopramide (Reglan)?
- >behavioral changes
>>hyperactivity - pant, pace, wine
>>ataxia, trembling, excessive panting, seizures
- Name a mucosal protectant drug?
- Sucralfate (Carafate)
- What are the clinical uses for Sucralfate (Carafate)?
- >oral ulcers
- How does Sucralfate (Carafate) work?
- binds to mucosal layer of stomach, when acid is produced there is a layer to protect lining of GI tract.
- What are the side effects of Sucralfate (Carafate)?
>Don't want to feed and than give carafate - won't work
>>give carafate 1/2 hour before meal
You must Login or Register to add cards